Monday, June 22, 2009

Wallflower Fish

I tend to overlook halibut. Like the wallflower at a dance, halibut doesn't grab my attention with sexy color like salmon or beautiful curves like shrimp. It has the virtue of being one of the sustainable catches these days but it's just white. Plain white. Nothing very fancy.

When I remember to ask it to the dance, however, it's great - versatile and friendly to lots of other foods. This time, I served it grilled with a very quick sort of salsa spooned over it and it tasted like the essence of summer.

The salsa was nothing but an ear of raw sweet corn cut off the cob, half a ripe tomato, a couple of slices of red onion and half an avocado, all chopped to roughly the same size. Over that I squirted half of my last wonderful lemon from Patty and Momo's garden, mixed it all together and added it to the grilled fish. By themselves, all these ingredients might have been yawn-producing but together they really woke up our plain, white fish and did a little jig on our tongues.

I won't be overlooking this lovely fish in the future; it reminds me of that song from my youth, "Let the little girl dance."

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Denise | Chez Danisse said...

i'm kind of a sucker for "plain", so halibut always looks good to me. i guess i'm just a simple gal. it does look especially good with your fresh salsa. mmmmmmm.

Monday, June 22, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Halibut is so versatile. I love how it can be dressed up in so many ways, and SO healthy!

Monday, June 22, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

For some reason you post got me thinking about the fish heads song.
Fish heads, fish heads, rolly polly fish heads.
Fish heads, fish heads, eat them up, yum.
out, out damn earworm.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Denise, mmmmmmm-mmmmmm-mmmmm!

Anna, it's all good.

Morgan, well, okaaaaayyyy? Not sure why the one engendered the other but I'm glad there's a song for exorcising earworms.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home