Friday, June 19, 2009

Stir Crazy

Been baking again. I visited a new-to-me blog, When Harry Met Salad, (clever title, huh?) and Megan was making Jamie Oliver's Rhubarb Stir Cake - boy, that looked good!

I didn't have any rhubarb, however, so decided to try substituting the plums that were still in my fruit bowl awaiting inspiration. I figured that the sweet-tart plum skins would give some of the same jazz to the cake that the sour rhubarb does, so I chopped up three cups of the little purpley-black beauties and added them in place of the rhubarb.

It worked like a champ, although I have to admit it probably wasn't as zingy as I'd have liked. My plums were very ripe; next time, I'd figure out a way to add some lemon juice if I was using pretty sweet fruit. I think you could change this up with peaches, apples, cherries - it's clafoutish although less eggy and more cakey than true clafoutis. With a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, it was still crazy good!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Great Shot! It sounds yummy too.

Friday, June 19, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, I SOOO applaud your use of plums. What I find silly about rhubarb is the amount of sugar that must be added to make it "fruit." No thanks.

("clafoutish" = hee!)

Friday, June 19, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I love plums and this looks great!

Friday, June 19, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it worked out. . .it looks yummy!

Sunday, June 21, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, yes, I'm daring the closeups these days.

Cookiecrumb, I'm with you - use fruit that has its own sugar!

Anna, shoulda brought you some - the recipe made plenty!

whms, all thanks to you for bringing it to my attention! I enjoy your blog very much!

Sunday, June 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home