Saturday, June 20, 2009

Chiffonade To The Rescue

Sometimes, things just work out for the best. Last Sunday, it was fully noon before I remembered that I had not taken anything out of the freezer for dinner. Nothing edible in the fridge; there weren't even eggs in the house.

I could have faked it by announcing brightly to My Beloved that salad with canned tuna on top is the latest foodie rage. I could have batted my eyelashes and asked to be taken out for dinner.
I could have had a shower and gone to the store for provisions. Instead, I rummaged once more through the freezer drawer and ¡hallelujah! I found a lovely, local rack of lamb hiding underneath the soup stock containers.

Rack of lamb, in addition to being on My Beloved's All-Time Hit Parade of Favorite Dinners, thaws in just a few hours. *Whew!* I browned it in a wide frying pan before roasting it for about 30 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Perfectly pink and juicy after letting it stand for the five minutes it took to warm the last of the leftover beans and to cook the peas.

Diving into the fridge for a snack before dinner, I found a rib of celery and happened across some fresh mint, too, so I made a quick chiffonade of celery and mint leaves together to complement the lamb (worked with the peas, too). There it is, nestled at the top between the two chops.

As I said, sometimes, things just have a way of working out for the best.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

Isn't it fun when things work out like this?!

Saturday, June 20, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I would be a little nervous about fresh mint in my food, if I hadn't already eaten YUM lamb sliders with fresh mint chiffonade.
Eye opener.
Yay.

Saturday, June 20, 2009  
Blogger Denise | Chez Danisse said...

nice save!

Saturday, June 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, yes, I always feel so smug - and so happy not to have to slog out to the store. :-)

Cookiecrumb, I think it's the small amount that makes it fun - just a taste, not an overwhelm for the other flavors.

Denis, thanks, I was ridiculously pleased.

Sunday, June 21, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home