Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bravo Breakfast

Not being a huge breakfast fan (unless it's served around lunch time) I wasn't sure what to order when we joined our new friends Sandi and Jim for breakfast at the Red House Café in Pacific Grove.

Oh, the Red House had plenty of offerings on the menu, eggs and French toast and such, but the only thing that really got my attention was called Breakfast Crostini. Ovals of fresh Italian bread spread with marscapone cheese, topped with raspberries and blackberries, and very lightly drizzled with honey and dusted with a puff of powdered sugar. The crisp crust of the bread complemented well the soft gooeyness of the cheese and the sweet-tart berries.

It was so good that I was mentally filing the "recipe" away even before I finished my breakfast; this is a treat I will serve to future house guests. It was light and fresh, sweet without being cloying, really a lovely choice for breakfast with enough ooomph to fuel a mile or two of walking in the breathtaking Point Lobos State Reserve later that morning.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

If that doesn't get your sugar level up nothing will. :)

Wednesday, June 24, 2009  
Blogger Denise | Chez Danisse said...

"everything is better with mascarpone" is the new "everything is better with bacon"

Wednesday, June 24, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I don't know if you do Twitter, but there was a robust thread this morning among local foodies about No More Sweet Breakfasts!
As for this breakfast -- it's beautiful, and I suspect it wouldn't be hard at all to put together for guests.
I use mascarpone as a night cream.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, oddly, it wasn't all that sweet.

Denise, I'm inclined to agree.

Cookiecrumb, no I don't tweet so I missed it - why am I always the last to know?
I gather your lactose intolerance doesn't extend to night creams?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I love breakfast, but only if someone else makes it and I don't have to eat it before 10am. That breakfast looks wonderful, a bit of sweet now and then keeps you sweet!

Thursday, June 25, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I agree completely with your breakfast outlook - after 10 and made by someone else is the best!

Thursday, June 25, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home