Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Late Bloomer

I've always been a late bloomer. I didn't get interested in boys until well into my teens. I didn't learn to drive until the summer before college. I didn't finish college until I was in my late thirties and I was forty before I earned my Master's degree.

Perhaps this will explain why yesterday I was roasting a nice head of cauliflower to nestle alongside our summer grilled pork chops.

I think of roasted cauliflower as the quintessential winter veg but spring had passed and summer was upon us before I got around to using this one.
Luckily, cauliflower keeps remarkably well in the crisper. I used Molly's tried-and-true recipe; simplicity itself, it always delivers cauliflower that I just can't stop eating, even chasing the smallest bits around the plate with my fork.

Late bloomers are great, once they get around to (cauli)flowering.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Anna Haight said...

I love cauliflower cooked this way and always forget to do it!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, you must write yourself a note!

Wednesday, July 01, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

The best. But I did discover another new way to cook cauliflower you might want to try. Slice it into "steaks" and panfry.

Wednesday, July 01, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Interesting idea - how thick would you make the steaks? And do you use butter?

Wednesday, July 01, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Slice 'em about half and inch thick, and butter is fine. Half butter and oil isn't quite so burny, if you cook hot. You can complicate things; look at some of the links here: http://bit.ly/2wBtLZ

Thursday, July 02, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

I even commented on it, but had forgotten. Senior moment. Thanks for the reminder. Gonna try it next fall when the cauliflowers come ripe again.

Thursday, July 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home