Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Oldie But Goodie

Every now and then, I like to go back through my recipe card file to pull up meals I learned to make years ago. It's nostalgic to serve things I made as a young bride and to remember the folks from whom I learned them. French Bread Sandwich is a meal like that. I learned how to make it from my first husband's mother, back when I was a new bride and we stayed with First Husband's parents for six long weeks while he was mustering out of the Navy with many hitches and hurdles - I don't think they wanted him to go.

Mom T never liked any help in her bright yellow kitchen while she was cooking - she preferred to do it all herself. She would occasionally let me do the dishes afterward, but the cooking was all hers. She often made elaborate lunches as well as fancy dinners - she was a true homemaker. This meal is one we had for lunch or an easy dinner.

Split a loaf of French bread (she used a thick loaf like a batard rather than a baguette) in half lengthwise and place the two halves on a baking sheet, making sure they are pretty level. Spread them lightly with butter, then with mustard (we used a horseradish mustard - she used ballpark) and catsup (next time, I'd make it with fresh tomatoes instead). Top with about one cup of grated cheddar cheese depending on the size of your loaf (I used havarti this time as that's what was in the fridge) and a layer of crumbled, raw hamburger, about half a pound. Sprinkle with garlic powder, pepper and salt. Slide into a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove, cut crossways into sections and serve piping hot.

These Oldies But Goodies bring back lots of memories; go look back in your recipe archives and see what you come up with.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home