Sunday, July 12, 2009

Visceral Reaction

Viscera. Ugly, ugly word. Conjures up all the roadkill I have ever turned my eyes away from. But, I have to admit that I rather enjoy this particular kind.

I was over in Marin the other day for an annual dental checkup - I'm happy to report that my choppers are good for another six months or 600 meals, whichever comes first. When I go over there, I usually stop at the Woodlands Market as a treat afterward, to see how the other half lives. It's a lovely, if pricey, little supermarket that often carries things I don't see in other stores and, sure enough, it came through with calf's liver this time.

I've written about Mrs. Jenkins' liver before but I thought I'd remind you liver lovers out there how good it can be with some nice sautéed onions and a couple of strips of bacon. If your market doesn't carry it, treat yourself to dinner here. They know how to do it right.


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

All my elderly relatives were going on about organ meat today. Praising liver (liver & bacon to be exact), eulogizing kidney, lauding brains *shudders*, it's something about the mouthfeel.
Glad you enjoyed it though.

Sunday, July 12, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I shudder, too, at kidneys or brains - icky. Liver, I can enjoy - the others are offal-awful. :-)

Sunday, July 12, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I realize that you mean well but liver.....blech. My grandmother, who was one of the best cooks I've ever known, could not make me eat it. Believe me, she tried. I'm not a fan of kidneys either but I do like sweetbreads, if I cook them. They have to be carefully prepared and then, served with a vinegar sauce to cut the creamy taste. I used to like brains if prepared the middle eastern way with lots of lemon and garlic but I haven't seen them on sale for ages. These days, I pretty much stick to chicken and a bit of fish and the occasional bite of red meat.

Sunday, July 12, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I bet you don't get any comments on this post.

Hah! Was I wrong!!! I'm not into cow liver, but chicken, duck or goose liver is just dandy. Rabbit liver, too. I'll even eat brains; jiggly, buttery. Sweetbreads is my manna. You know I've eaten duck tongue and cockscomb?

It's all awful. I mean offal. Fun. Offal fun.

Sunday, July 12, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, you have a more adventurous spirit than I - brains! I have tried sweetbreads and kidneys but I'll stick to Mrs. Jenkins' liver, thanks.

Cookiecrumb, liver always draws comments - it's a love-hate kinda thing.

Monday, July 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home