Monday, January 19, 2009

Dueling Peelers

My Beloved's daughters, knowing how much I enjoy cooking, gave me this new square peeler for Christmas this year. When I bought a nice, round, bumpy, dirty celeriac bulb this week, I decided to try out the new peeler to see if it was in any way superior to my tried-and-true style with the metal handle and if it could hold its own against a simple kitchen knife.

As I discovered, celeriac is just short of impossible to peel, no matter what kind of implement one uses. It is bumpy, ridgy, heavy, awkwardly sized and thoroughly uncooperative. However, I had made a resolution to try new foods this year and I had a delicious-sounding recipe to make with it (more about that later), so I got out my arsenal of peelers and got to work.

The new peeler shone. The knife was next to useless on this very round, grapefruit-sized, unwieldy vegetable and my old peeler kept slipping dangerously with each swipe, so the new peeler, which fits in the palm of my hand with a slip ring on top to keep it securely around one finger, worked the best. Now, I'm not saying that it was easy - that would be disrespectful to the stubbornly recalcitrant nature of the celeriac - but the new peeler was the smoothest and safest, and in no time I had a flurry of grimy celeriac flakes and a clean, white globe to show for my work.

If someone is looking for a great little stocking stuffer for you next year, I can recommend the victor in the peeler shootout.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

What a good recommendation! Celeriac with a mustardy sauce is one of my favorite salads but I don't make it often because that darn root is a b&*&(t to peel. New year, new tools, new president. What's not to like?

Monday, January 19, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I'm almost giddy with happiness at our new Pres-elect! Happy days!

Monday, January 19, 2009  
Blogger Greg said...

I saw one of those peelers and thought it would be useless.Will have to take a second look.Happy inauguration!

Monday, January 19, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I use my special pumpkin peeler for celeriac - but I can't find a picture of it anywhere for you :(

Monday, January 19, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Cranky and I had one of those old metal peelers, and it worked really well, for some reason.
Then he decided to move out on me. (He's back! This was ages ago.) So I went and bought a new peeler and kept the good old one for myself, when it came time to divide up the household. He got the new one.
I like your even-newer one.
Happy Inaug Day.

Morgan: find the picture, dammit!

Monday, January 19, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Greg, my first impression wasn't strong, either, but for this job, it was great!

Morgan, a pumpkin peeler?? Must see!

Cookiecrumb, now you have both peelers so you can peel happily together in the kitchen!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I just remembered a funny facet of the peeler incident. When he told me he was leaving, we *both* said, "Who gets the peeler?"

Tuesday, January 20, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I'm glad he's back, peeler and all!

Tuesday, January 20, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home