Sunday, January 11, 2009

Yankee Tostada

Okay, I'll admit it - I'm desperate for content. Having written 510 blog posts, I'm all out of ideas and I don't feel much like cooking, much less innovating, so I'm in big trouble. I found it interesting to learn that my capacity for food blogging topped out at 510, but I'm really not ready to stop, just stumped for a topic that seems interesting.

Luckily, I have this one more ace in the hole, the tostada appetizer I enjoyed at the River Tavern in Chester, CT and forgot to tell you about. It was delicious, but taking you back three weeks to CT seems a bit like cheating.

In the past when visiting the East, I never, ever ordered Mexican food because it was always atrocious. It seemed as though Easterners just didn't "get" Mexican food. In Rochester, NY where I lived for 20+ years, we always waited with bated breath for our trips to California to visit my first husband's parents, sometimes seemingly as much for the good Mexican and Chinese food as for contact with the parental units.

Now, however, the Mexican vibe has hit Connecticut. This corn tortilla was layered with roast pulled pork and all the traditional toppings of chopped onion, tomato, avocado and crisp lettuce, spiced up with fresh cilantro, hot sauce and a big squirt of lime juice. Maybe it wasn't exactly adventurous eating but it was excellent and a welcome change from New England fare.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger liteluvr said...

Looks awesome. How in the world could a person survive without at least passably good Mex fare?

Clam chowder and boiled potatoes only goes so far.....

;O)

Sunday, January 11, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I had the same trouble when I lived in DC. Finally a "Mexican" place opened up and we dashed to it -- only to have our spirits dashed by a corn tortilla with Cheez Whiz spread on it. Really.
Sometimes you wanna go in the kitchen and scream at the chef.
Now, Zoomie, back into the kitchen with you.

Cranky LOVED the birthday card! Thanks.

Sunday, January 11, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

liteluvr, I hope I never find out! :-)

Cookiecrumb, only if you won't come in and scream at me. Glad the Crankster enjoyed his card - what did you make him for his birthday dinner?

Sunday, January 11, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Lobstah! At Yankee Pier in Larkspur. It was jim-dandy.

Sunday, January 11, 2009  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

A corn tortilla with Cheez Whiz - the ghost of Pancho Villa should shot the cook.
Maybe you just need a bit of R&R before you push yourself for more and more food related posts. You've had a draining couple of months.

Sunday, January 11, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, just what the doctor ordered! Perfect.

Nancy, thanks for the kind thought (not the one about shooting the chef!). I took a day off today -even got MB to walk the dog so I didn't have to get dressed all day. :-)

Sunday, January 11, 2009  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I've yet to find good Mexican food over this way - but keep looking. Lucky you, it looks wonderful.

Monday, January 12, 2009  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

I'm glad you are continuing through the stumped phase! I would miss your 'voice' should it be silent!

Thursday, January 15, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I think in this country it is associated with the spread of Mexican workers - hurray for immigration!

Anna, I never miss a day of reading your blog, either! Thanks!

Sunday, January 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home