Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sole + Survivor

Having scored some right-out-of-the-ocean fresh local petrale sole at the market, I then wondered what to do with it. It's a very mild-mannered fish, delicate and light, so it needs a little jazzing up but it gets lost if too much other stuff is added.

Did some online research for recipes but nothing seemed to appeal until I remembered I had a single chicken apple sausage in the fridge left over from a previous meal and, somehow, that combination rang a bell with me.

I put some fingerling potatoes in to roast while I chopped the sausage and sauteed it in a wide pan with a big squeeze of lemon juice and a generous grinding of fresh pepper, then added a handful of green beans to saute along with the sausage. When the beans were nearly ready, I pushed all that to one side and lightly sauteed the fish in the same pan for just a minute or two per side. Piled onto a warmed plate with those fingerlings on the side and a few bright cherry tomatoes for color, it turned into an unexpected feast of sole plus survivor.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Cooking genius! I would never have thought of pairing sausage with fish and I love sole so I must try this some time.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009  
Blogger liteluvr said...

Same here... wouldn't have thought to pair the sausage and the fish... but it sure looks fine sitting on the plate.
Nice work!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I have to say that I don't think I'd have thought of it, either, if I didn't have that leftover sausage in the fridge, but it was inspired!

Liteluvr, thanks - it was mighty fine!

Wednesday, January 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home