Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Child

Not having children of my own, I had to borrow some for previous Christmases, notably my Fairy Godchildren, Mark and Louis. Their mother was always generous with sharing them as they grew up, but this year they were both in Michigan with her, a sweet surprise for their parents as they are both adult and independent now.

This year, we've had the joy of sharing Christmas with a nearly-two-year old, our granddaughter, Mia. This picture tells it all - she's into the rip-and-tear school of present opening, enthusiastically shredding her way through Christmas wrap and tissue paper. My Dad would have approved, being a kid at heart and a devotee of that school himself; he could unwrap a small mountain of gifts in short order. And being nearly two, she is far more interested in the wrappings than she is in what's inside; I trust that will change with age.

She has been the bright spot this Christmas. She came over for dinner the day after Christmas and kept us lively, every five minutes or so, trying to anticipate which new way she'd find to kill herself. If she wasn't headed for the top of the stairs at a dead run, she was marching into the kitchen to seek out the hot things, or searching the house for all the lethal edges we keep unknowingly within her reach. And, she giggles as she goes!

I made an ultra-simple dinner, shrimp cocktail for starters and chicken with fingerling potatoes roasted in the same pan for dinner. The only difference was that I substituted a mandarin orange for my usual lemon squeezed over the top and tucked inside, and sprinkled it with Hawaiian Red Salt (a gift from Mia's parents and aunt) as well as Herbes de Provence before roasting. When little kids are at the table trying out their first real silverware, it's not really about the food, is it?

Wanna know the best part? Mia loves me. She mimics my greeting of "Hi, Sweetie Pie" with her own version, "Hi, PeaPie!" and runs to give me hugs and kisses. She melts my crusty old heart.




Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Well, I beg to differ on the crusty old heart part since I - at my advanced of more than two - don't think you have a crusty heart but a generous and loving one. However, your granddaughter sounds delightful and just the balm for this Christmas without your Belle Mere. Plus, think of all the extra exercise you got, running after her.

Monday, December 29, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Lots of holiday love to you, PeaPie.

Monday, December 29, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

Doesn't sound like a crusty old heart to me, my dear! (but that would melt the crustiest of them, I'm sure!) Sounds like a perfect Christmas - the food homey and delicious and comforting, and your granddaughter a true delight. Happy holidays, Zoomie ;)

Monday, December 29, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Hey crusty-heart, the very best gift to give someone that age - a whole box of tissues (kleenex?) all to themselves. You don't even mind cleaning up after it :)

Monday, December 29, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, aw, gee, thanks. I've gotten lots of exercise, both hoisting Mia up and chasing the new dog - it has been an eventful Christmas!

Cookiecrumb, thanks! And to you and Cranky, too.

Michelle, I'm actually not usually fond of small children - they are such attention sinks - and it's hard to have a good conversation when they are in the room! But this one gets to me!

Morgan, that's a brilliant idea! I'm going to try it! :-) I suppose her parents will be horrified at my teaching her such habits, but that's what grandparents are for, isn't it? :-)

Monday, December 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home