Saturday, November 29, 2008

Only in Hawaii, part one

How often are you hugged by the check-in people at your airline?

I had never had it happen before - usually, you're lucky if they are smiling and not short-tempered after a day of dealing with bewildered travelers. On our way to Hawaii this time, however, we encountered this lovely little lady, 84 years young and as friendly as it's possible to be.

She is a volunteer for Hawaiian Airlines. She and two of her fellow senior citizens were flitting around in front of the self check-in stations, helping people to learn the computerized check-in process. She is about half my height, a diminutive dynamo complete with muumuu, Hawaiian print purse and baby blue silk lei. I asked her why she volunteered and she smiled and shrugged, "Oh, just for something to do" she said, "I used to play ukulele in a band, now I do this!"

Completely charmed, I asked permission to take her picture and she agreed although she said she didn't take good pictures. I don't agree; I think it captured her lively, sweet face.

Then, she insisted on a big hug. I bent down to be surrounded by her surprisingly strong embrace and a whiff of sweet flower perfume before hurrying away to shuffle my way barefooted through the security lines. Over the many years I have visited Hawaii, I have had many such encounters that always make me think, "Only in Hawaii!" And, her aloha stretched all the way to the Mainland!




Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

True aloha! I love it! Welcome to the islands!

Saturday, November 29, 2008  
Blogger Kailyn said...

That's totally sweet.

Sunday, November 30, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I think that you attract sweetness - anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Have a great time and keep us updated on Zoomie and Buzz's Totally Awesome Hawaiian Vacation.

Sunday, November 30, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

Thanksgiving in Hawaii. Sounds like a lovely plan to me.Enjoy!

Sunday, November 30, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Michelle, thanks! Sorry to miss you - maybe next time!

Kailyn, she really was!

Nancy, we'll do our best!

Greg, it's always lovely here - amazingly so!

Monday, December 01, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home