Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Green Tomato Rice

Looking around online for an appealing recipe to use up my two green tomatoes, I came across this one for Green Tomato Rice by Diana Rattray on About.com.

It made a nice side dish, similar to Spanish Rice, but more tart and with a little bit of habanero kick from the last pepper, now dried and shriveled, that I was gifted from Chilebrown a couple of months ago. What's not to like about a rice recipe that includes tomatoes, onions, chicken broth and bacon? I could have added the Parmesan cheese option, too, but I decided to try the undressed first. I will try the Parm tonight on the leftovers*.

If you have a few nice, tart green tomatoes still clinging to your vines, here's a tasty use for them.

*I tried the Parm but it didn't thrill me, although it did add another layer of flavor and earthiness to the rice. My tongue preferred the plainer rice, finding enough diversity of taste in the bacon, onion and green tomato.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are those brussel sprouts on the plate?? My favorie vegtable! Mmmm! Just wanted to pop over and wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving! Can't wiat to read all about it!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I'm not a huge fan of fried green tomatoes. When I get them (green tomatoes), I tend to make Indian-type curry dishes with them. But if you are in a festive mood, there's a cake recipe that's very similar to what my grandmother made. I make it when I know I'm going to have company. I put Burbon (ahem) in the mix and have cut back on the sugar. Instead I use applesauce or pureed prunes. I also have topped it with a hard sauce with quite a bit of Brandy for a special Christmas treat.

* 2 1/4 cups sugar
* 1 cup vegetable oil or melted shortening
* 3 eggs
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 3 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1 cup pecans or walnuts
* 1 cup raisins
* 2 1/2 cups diced green tomatoes
* coconut (optional)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350°. In mixing bowl, beat sugar, vegetable oil or shortening, eggs and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; slowly beat into egg mixture. Blend well. Stir in pecans, raisins and tomatoes.
Pour into greased 9x13-inch pan. Top with coconut if desired. Bake for one hour, or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. .
Serves 12.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sara, yes, sprouts! I love 'em, too. And Happy Thanksgiving to you, the Winemaker, the Chickens, the bees and especially to Remy!

Nancy, wow, that really sounds delicious! Remind me of this next year when I have a few more green ones! Happy Thanksgiving, Kiddo!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I am impressed that you tried that pepper.
I just made cranberry, quamQaut, and habenero sause. My mom is coming over. I made a second sause for her. I am hoping she will try the habanero.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, I really liked the small amount of habanero I put into the rice - it was tasty! - but I'm always amazed by people like you who can tolerate LOTs of hots!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home