Sunday, November 16, 2008

His Second-Favorite

My Beloved is someone who must be coaxed to love Brussels sprouts. He will eat them but not with the same relish with which he attacks most other foods. Whenever I see a new sprout recipe, I'm motivated to try some more friendly persuasion.

Molly posted on Orangette (link in the sidebar to the right) recently about her lima beans in cream, with a link to her cream-braised Brussels sprouts; once again, MB got sprouts for dinner and, lo and behold, these were pronounced to be his second-favorite kind of sprouts! His favorite remains roasted sprouts, also a recipe from Molly.

These sprouts were gentle ones, cloaked in cream and cooked a relatively long time, so they all but melted in the mouth. For a sprout lover like me, they were a riff on a favorite; for an avowed Sprout skeptic like MB, they were perfectly acceptable. I call that a win for the Sprout Team!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

W-e-l-l.... if you say these are the best Brussels sprouts ever, who am I to disagree? I've cooked lima beans in cream for ages as that was the way my grandmother taught me. I season them with rosemary and they are one of my favorite cold weather dishes. But Brussels Sprouts?

Sunday, November 16, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Oh, I'll definitely have to try these!

Sunday, November 16, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

I do love the roasted sprouts. My wife wrinkles her nose at all sprouts.Maybe she could be converted with these.

Sunday, November 16, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, not the best, just very, very high on the Sprout Hit Parade. The roasted ones are still the gold standard.

Anna, how did you like them?

Greg, MB was only a tolerant sprout eater before, so these may just do the trick with your squeeze.

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Have you tried Ilva’s sprouts cooked with bacon and parmesan on him yet?

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

OMG, Morgan, that sounds insanely good! I'll have to check her out!

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

Zombie Mom and Fluffycat ordered sprouts when we were at Cesar's recently. They were cooked in lots of butter. Not bad but still not my first choice in veggie.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, keep trying - they grown on you!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home