Friday, November 14, 2008

To Market, To Market...

As children, when Mom left to go anywhere by herself, we'd always demand, "Where are you going?" as if we feared she'd never return, and she'd usually answer, "Crazy, you wanna come?" Of course, we always wanted to come - outings of just about any kind were opportunities to pester her for treats.

She would then tell us, with a roll of her blue eyes, "You've got a case of the gimmes!"

As we neared home after a shopping expedition, she'd recite this little rhyme:

"To market, to market
To buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again,
Jiggety jig!"

Today, I didn't bring home the whole pig, just two nice bone-in pork chops and, for once, I didn't go out in the car. Instead, I walked down to town to do my shopping. The walk down isn't bad, just four blocks - it's the walk back up our very steep hill that's testing. Usually, I have a cup of coffee and time to be leisurely so I can stop and gasp if I need to.

I got to try out my latest toy, too, a $20 purchase from Pier One, this light, maneuverable basket on wheels. I had seen a fancier one at the Marin Farmer's Market one day and, struck with immediate Basket Envy, inquired of its owner where she got it but she had purchased hers in France. Mine was made in the Philippines. I was thrilled to find it and a lovely, useful thing it is.

The handle is smooth bamboo, curved just right for my hand and exactly the correct height for my stature, which ain't much. It has a nifty little back iron loop to keep it upright when stationary and it's deep enough to hold lots of stuff. The wheels are wooden and they squeak; they rumble over the sidewalk and chirp a cheerful little shopping song as it rolls along behind me.

Another of my mother's sayings, when I'd ask "What for?" for the nth time. She'd say, "Cats for to make kitten's britches, have you ever seen them on dogs?" Oh, Mo-o-o-o-o-o-m!


Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Oh, I totally have basket envy now!! I wish our Pier One had those!! I hear you about the hill - I lived at the very top of one in between Monterey and Forest Grove (CA) and rode my bike down once (terrifying) and walked it up once (even worse!) so I finally took a several block detour every day because I just couldn't stand it!! Lovely memories about your mom and childhood!

Friday, November 14, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Another one suffering basket envy - it's perfect for marketing (I suspect not for supermarketing though).
When I was little and asked "what's that?" My mum would say "a wigwam for a goose’s bridle!"

Friday, November 14, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, lord, a basket from France. Oy, Marin. Can you imagine bringing that home? Oh, silly me, she had it shipped.
Was it strapped with leather belts? I've seen one like that there, and its owner is a SNOB.
I'd say you win. Yours is cute and inexpensive.

Friday, November 14, 2008  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

I am so sorry that that is not the correct carry all to go the Ferry Plaza. I am not sure what model it in style today. I think your basket needs to be woven by Umpala's.
We are going to the Mecca tommorrow morning. I think your basket would be awesome. I think the latest fad is to have this tripod on wheeles with hangers to dangle cloth bags.(usualy plastic).
If you carry a cloth bag that say's 'Ferry Plazza' every one knows you are a tourist. You can carry around a straw basket. That is okay.
We are going tomorrow morning. Peggy has a cloth bag that has a Pinole farmers market stamp. We will probably be looked at,by, people from the low spectrum of Market Carryalls! Oh Well.

Friday, November 14, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Michelle, keep checking! I had not seen these before I saw one! :-) I trudged up a Monterey hill just a month or so ago, so I have sympathy for you.

Morgan, I know the feeling! And I love your Mum's saying - good ways to stop little kids' questions, both.

Cookiecrumb, yes, it was leather belted and she looked down her nose at me for asking so it may have been the same snob! The basket I bought was at the Marin Pier One - next to the car wash on Lucky Drive, if you want one.

Chilebrown, if they are that snobby, they aren't worth impressing. I find you and Peggy impressive, no matter what you carry your food in! :-)

Saturday, November 15, 2008  
Blogger kudzu said...

Has anyone else noticed that when you use cloth bags at supermarkets the baggers always overload them and then they're too heavy and then you cuss when you put them into the car or take them out? Whew. Long sentence, long resentment. The wicker cart sounds perfect: much better than the bigger metal ones every old lady (and now that would be me) uses in NYC!

Sunday, November 16, 2008  
Blogger Kitt said...

Nice cart! At first I thought it was a basket you'd carry on your back, sort of peasant-y. But wheels are easier.

Sunday, November 16, 2008  
Blogger DrB said...

*Exactly* as kudzu said: SOOO much nicer than the metal grates we have here in NYC. I'll see if I can find one like zoomie's.

And kudzu, I have the same resentment, bringing my own bags. I always bring 4, they pack 2 and overpack. That's why I try to pack my own groceries; alas, sometimes they sneak in before I get a chance. Then it gets awkward to repack in front of the packer... maybe that's a NY thing, too?

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, yes, I have the same gripe. They _say_ they want you to use your own bags but they don't walk the walk.

Kitt, the wheel really was a great invention, wasn't it? :-)

DrB, I'd be embarrassed to re-pack in front of the packer, too, so I don't think it's just a New York thing!

Monday, November 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home