Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Protein Hit

I don't eat a lot of eggs. I can't face them early in the morning and usually by lunchtime I'm looking for something I don't have to cook. Every now and then, however, I'm in the mood for their rich protein and breakfasty goodness.

My Beloved was hungry around eleven one Sunday morning recently, so I decided to whip up an omelet with some Black Forest ham and Jarlsberg Swiss cheese we had in the reefer. When I went to take those out, I noticed a carton of creme fraiche that had sat, neglected and lonely, in the fridge for quite some time, so I had the idea of adding some of that, too.

The result was one of the best omelets it has ever been my pleasure to devour. All I did was plop four teaspoons of creme fraiche here and there in the four-egg omelet we shared. The mild ham and cheese were lent a creamy richness by the creme fraiche, which melted and swam around a bit, leaving just the slightest hint of a tang everywhere it went. It seemed to slow the cooking down a bit, too, so when it was finished the omelet had a golden brown bottom and a fluffy, creamy center fit for a food stylist's camera.

Next time you have an urge for a serious protein hit, think about adding creme fraiche to turn your omelet from plain to patrician.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

I'm more partial to scrambles than omelets these days but I bet your suggestion would work there as well.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Creme fraiche goes with just about everything. I use it in eggs, in various sauces, in curry and when I must have my carb fix, on top of baked potatoes, zapped with green onions, chives and a spoon or two (or three...) of grated Parmesan cheese.

Creme Fraiche - it's what's for dinner!
Hey - I just had a thought. OK, no groans but seriously, you could add it to that soup that BB loves and that you think is a bit blah. Add it to your bowl and see how it tastes. Of course, I'm a huge fan of hot sauces so I'd probably add some chili sesame oil or Siracha or something hot and lemony as well but tastes do differ.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Creme fraiche IS so good! I like it on strawberries. Cream cheese is also good plopped into omelets.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, I don't see why not!

Nancy, I did lace the soup with creme fraiche - I'm pretty sure that's why MB loved it! :-) I thought it still needed a little something.

Anna, I happen to have a little leftover cream cheese in the fridge so I'll try that next time, if it hasn't grown green fuzz by then.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh. I'm ready for an omelette. I love creme fraiche, so all systems go!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I made another great egg dish this evening - will post about it in a few days. I'm finding that eggs for _dinner_ are a great idea!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are proving to be a very bad influence. I never understood the goodness of creme fraiche until you made us that wonderful tarte flambee/flammenkuchen/pisaladiere deal with it (which, by the way, I just made again to share with some friends the other weekend in Marshall). Now, I can see it's going to be a regular addition of fat to my already fat-laden diet.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

I like to beat the crème fraîche into the eggs, but otherwise (with the addition of some truffle oil) it's the best omelet supplement there is.

Saturday, November 22, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evlmprs, ooops, sorry 'bout that! :-)

Peter, I've got to get some truffle oil - I keep thinking that sounds great, then I forget in between.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home