Monday, November 17, 2008

Marital Discord

My Beloved and I are compatible - normally, we agree on 'most everything, from politics to clothing styles to what color to paint the bathroom (orange). We start and end each day wrapped in each others' arms and we hate lengthy separations. We have a lovely harmonious life together.

Except for this soup. When he first tasted it, he gave me The Look, the one that says, "Wow, you've done it right this time!" and dug down into his bowl with a concentrated enjoyment.

Maybe it's because I was tasting it all afternoon as I made it or maybe it's because my head of cauliflower wasn't spanking fresh, but to me it was "meh," okay but not spectacular. It's a pretty simple soup, just cauliflower and onions cooked together in butter before adding veggie stock, simmering and pureeing. Adjust seasonings, yadda, yadda. The recipe called for cream at the end but I had an extra carton of creme fraiche in the fridge so I substituted that instead.

I think it was the creme fraiche that did it for him. It smoothed and gentled the brassica edge while adding richness to what might otherwise have been a lean and healthy soup. I guess a little individuality is good in a marriage - makes for interesting discussions at table.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

A little Stilton crumbed in cauliflower soup is also an eye-opener. You might like it, too!

And if that's the worst disagreement you have, you've got a very good thing going!

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger meathenge said...

I'll bet it would have been really good with a garnish of bacon. That's probably what you were looking for.

Biggles

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

If all you disagree on is soup... You have it made.

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, that's an interesting idea but I might rather go for Rocquefort as it's not quite so blue, if you know what I mean. And, yes, I do know how lucky I am!

Rev, I think you're right, that would have sealed the deal!

Greg, well, soup and sometimes sprouts... but we truly are lucky!

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

A nice spoonful of wholegrain mustard always livens up a cauli soup - or as suggested above, some bacon sprinkled on. Or try some indian style spice seeds fried in a litte ghee on top, that's quite nice too.
Mr Brown & I fell out over a soup of brussels sprouts.

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I really like that idea of the mustard along with the bacon. I'm not knowledgeable about Indian spices - what seeds would I use?

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Sounds like good soup -- and what a wonderful life to have this be the worst disagreement!

Monday, November 17, 2008  
Blogger dancingmorganmouse said...

Well, a nice simple mix is cumin and black mustard seeds, fry them in ghee until they start popping. While you’re at it, stir in a little ginger, turmeric and ground coriander, then wack in the soup at the end.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, MB would agree that it was great soup; I'm harder to please.

STB, thanks for the tips! Are you Morgan in disguise?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home