Thursday, November 20, 2008

New England Lobster

We didn't know the bar was notorious. All we knew was that it was lunchtime and we were in Old Saybrook, CT with no clear idea of where to eat, so we pulled into this roadside tavern and ordered the most expensive thing on the menu, the $15.00 lobster roll.

We were in New England, after all, and what else does one order in New England except lobster?

It was worth every penny, a nicely grilled soft roll simply stuffed with huge chunks of hot, fresh lobster and nestled up against some nice, crispy-creamy French fries and a little dish of the traditional cole slaw. It was a truly sumptuous lunch that tasted distinctly of the sea.

We weren't bothered by the motorcycles parked outside nor the guys in leather jackets hunched silently over their drinks at the bar while a sports channel showed endless clips of football hits and basketball stretches. We sat outside on the glass porch and enjoyed sunshine as well as the bandy-legged, no-nonsense waitress in Bermuda shorts and running shoes who clearly had worked there since God was a child.

It was only when My Beloved's sister exclaimed when we told her where we ate that we realized we were lucky to be in a rented car so respectable people wouldn't know we were in that bar early in the day, doing who-knows-what in that place!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Yummy! And I bet that if you had been traveling alone, as I often do, you would have noticed. Actually I probably would have noticed even if I wasn't traveling alone for other reasons.

Thursday, November 20, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Apples, and jellies, and pomegranates (did I tell you we have a pomegranat tree? or bush?) and birds and beef and now lobster....
I've been catching up. Wow, have I ever missed a lot. Did you go to Hawaii? Are you back? Was it fun? Did I read too fast?
Mon mari is waiting with the car running to go back to Vlad's house...byeeeee.....

Thursday, November 20, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

OMG that looks so good!Please FedEX me one. I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a lobster roll today. J. Wellington Wimpy

Thursday, November 20, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Monkey Farm!!! Did you think of the Monkey Bar while you were there?

Thursday, November 20, 2008  
Blogger kudzu said...

Reminds me of my mother's being alarmed because I had used her car to pick up some Scotch at the drive-through liquor store, afraid some of the church ladies might have seen me. I kid you not: licensened stores only in dry county, no other way to get booze of any kind -- the drive-through part offered some anonymity, supposedly. I would LOVE to have a lobster roll from any establishment, questionable or otherwise. Think of me as you enjoy them!

Thursday, November 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, I'm intrigued and wondering what your reasons were!

KatieZ, no, I didn't know about your pomegranate plant. Welcome back! Not yet, not yet, will report when we have gone, no! :-) Byeee...

Greg, good news, you can get one just as good in North Beach at the Lobster Shack! It's $20 (ouch!) but worth every dime!

Cookiecrumb, the one at the Pearl City Tavern? Yes to the name but no to the atmosphere. The Monkey Bar the "in" place to take a date when I was 21 in Hawaii. I doubt if a guy would have gotten a second date if he started me out at the Monkey Farm!

Kudzu, I had to laugh at your anecdote. See my answer to Greg - you can get a lovely, huge lobster roll locally! It's not local eating but, man, is it ever delish!

Thursday, November 20, 2008  
Blogger kudzu said...

Ah, yes, and we can get them at Yankee Pier in Larkspur, too. But not like the ones you scored in the East....BTW The Monkey Bar at the Elysee Hotel in NYC had a brash history, died down during disco and has now been reignited for the current cocktail craze. I knew it well.

Thursday, November 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, I hadn't heard about _that_ Monkey Bar - the one at the Pearl City Tavern in Hawaii had real monkeys behind a pane of glass over the whole length of the bar and their antics were amusing and a little shocking! :-) I wonder if it's still there?

Friday, November 21, 2008  
Blogger kudzu said...

Now that you mention it a dim memory struggles to the surface of Pearl City Tavern -- but this was in the late Seventies, so I can't swear it's still there. In fact, I can't swear I was there but seem to think so!

Friday, November 21, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, sadly, it is gone - I found out online that it has been replaced by a car dealership... heavy sigh...

Friday, November 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home