Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Energizer Bunny of the Garden World

Leave a waning veggie garden for ten days and look what you get upon return - six dark green zucchinis (I didn't photograph the baseball bat-sized one) and two green tomatoes which refuse to redden but which dropped off the vine into my hand, signaling their readiness.

I'll give some of the zucchini to my neighbor to thank her for watching the house but I'm at a loss as to what to do with the two green tomatoes. I've tried fried green tomatoes - maybe it's just me, but they were underwhelming - and I have no other good ideas. Guess I'll go online this afternoon and see what looks yummy, unless you have some suggestions...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

My (scanty) understanding is that green tomatoes need to be cooked to be edible. You might treat them like tomatillos and make a salsa.

Your garden this year was awesome!

Cranky is, even as we speak, roasting the last of the red tomatoes for sauce.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008  
Blogger Jennywenny said...

I was going to suggest some sort of chutney for them.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

A jam or a pickle is all I can think of, I think cookie is right that you have to cook them.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008  
Blogger kudzu said...

There's a kind of mincemeat they make in the South using green tomatoes as the base with the same sweet/sour balance -- raisins, brown sugar, vinegar. A bit tarter than chutney. Then you can use it with cream cheese on crackers, in little tarts, mixed with apples in a pie, etc.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, thanks for that tip - sounds like an important one.

Jennywenny, maybe next year! Kudzu had a similar idea.

Morgan, jam is a cool idea but the apple sauce seems to have taken the last of my ambition...

Kudzu, wow, mincemeat - I haven't thought about that in years and years! What interesting ideas!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home