Saturday, January 17, 2009

Dux Redux

After making the Sauce Duxelles for our steak, I had about half a cup of duxelles left, so I decided to use it in a roast chicken - they didn't have a Cornish hen at my market that day, darn it! The leftovers would have been the perfect amount for a Cornish hen.

Oh, well. After rinsing and drying the chicken, I gently loosened the skin over the breast and patted the duxelles into place over the breast meat. If I'd had a bit more, I'd have done the legs, too.

Hawaiian red salt, freshly ground pepper, olive oil baste, lemon cut in half, squeezed over the top, tucked inside, roast in a 350 oven for an hour, baste twice, rest on the cutting board, yadda yadda.

Sliced with a hint of crispy skin and a layer of duxelles, the breast meat was out of this world, truly an explosion of rich mushroomy/oniony/chickeny flavor concentrated by the oven.


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

You ought to go to write for Gourmet Magazine or Bon Appetite - your descriptions are almost (fill in the blank)....You certainly have me making drooling sounds.

Saturday, January 17, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, thanks! Kind of you to say so. Makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside!

Sunday, January 18, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

You're getting all cheffy on us, Zoomie. That is spectacular.

Sunday, January 18, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, just wish I'd had a little more to work with! The breast meat was dynamite but the legs were, well, legs.

Sunday, January 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home