Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Another Brown Meal

Last Friday, I got a hot tip about an artist's talk in the city from Nancy who writes Chez NamasteNancy, a fun blog about the arts scene in San Francisco. After an excellent artist's talk by Ala Ebtekar, a student I met when I worked at the San Francisco Art Institute, at the wonderful San Francisco Center for the Book, My Beloved and I met our friend the Evil Empress and her Guy at Lulu's for a bite to eat. MB and I shared this dish, Lamb Bolognese, a rich concoction of braised lamb chunks over pappardelle pasta and topped with soft, fresh cheese.

It was delicious. It was brown. But the very best thing about it was the noodles, as thin as our wallets in a Bush administration and oh-so-delicate, they were downright silky and gently flavorful. I could eat noodles like this forever. A great evening made up of equal parts of aesthetic appreciation, good friends and killer noodles.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I can relate to brown food... I LIKE brown food. I often look at the plate - (orange is popular also) and see sole, rice and cauliflower... OR salmon, carrots and fried potatoes. In summer, lettuce, avocado... you get the idea.
And your doggie eating habits? Nothing makes a dog scarf up their food faster than having another dog looking at it....

Tuesday, January 13, 2009  
Blogger Heather said...

Brown is the color of savory. Nothing wrong with that!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, right you are! Her appetite improves dramatically when our neighbor's dog visits.

Heather, agreed!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009  
Blogger Tea said...

Looking at noodles like that makes me want to pull out the pasta maker. I love that stuff!

Re. Sunset: in the front, in the blog chat section (blogs that mention Sunset). I'd tell you the page, but I don't have the copy here (though was tempted to steal it from the drs. office!). Congrats!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Tea, thanks so much! I had no idea. I've been searching the (very messy) house looking for that issue but, so far, no luck! Maybe it's on their website, too - I'll go look!

And, as to the noodles, OMG - who would have thought that something so simple as noodles could make such a difference!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I think the secret is pappardelle with meat. Nothing finer. Might be my favorite pasta shape (after spaghetti).

Tuesday, January 13, 2009  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I don't think I've ever had pappardelle before - I would have remembered! It was truly amazing!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home