Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ducky Beans

While strolling the Marin farmer's market a few days ago, we visited our favorite Basque stand where they sell wonderful sausages and pate' - this time we were talked into trying some duck breast proscuitto that the proprietor had made. I was thinking of yet another way to use up some of my peaches but when I have unusual ingredients in the house they tend to spark new ideas.

I made tiny, dark purple lardons from a bit of the duck breast, rendering the fat by sauteeing before adding some fresh green beans from the garden, perhaps a day or two past perfect size, so I sliced them on the diagonal. After tossing the beans in the duck fat, I added just a tablespoon or so of water to the pan and butter steamed them in the duck "butter."

The fresh green flavor of the beans lightened the earthy darkness of the prosciutto and each made the other better, tastier, more complete.

My Beloved has a way, when he tastes something he really likes, of just meeting my eyes and then closing his - his way of signaling that he's having a near-religious experience. Language is suspended for the moment by simple savoring. I love that.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

wow, mouth watering on the other side of the world.
I tried to get some smoked duck last week, at the farm to the city markets we are lucky enough to have (described to me as "duck bacon") but she'd run out. I'm dashing out the door a little earlier tomorrow.
Oh, & btw, you are cordially invited to view my blog, ping me an email at dancingmorganmouse@yahoo.com.au if you want adding to the list, I've had to go all secret squirrel for a bit.
dmm

Thursday, September 11, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That is a brilliant idea.
And I'm still so stunned that you can pick a couple of plates' worth of green beans. Good.
"Duck bacon." Heh.

Thursday, September 11, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

The duck lady had no smoked duck AGAIN - I'm begining to think she's made it all up!

Friday, September 12, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, hope you find that smoked duck bacon soon - sounds yummilicious!

Cookiecrumb, yes, the green bean plants are slowing down but still producing enough for the two of us about twice a week!

Friday, September 12, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, if she made it once, she can make it again! Will she take a reservation for future smoked duck? :-)

Friday, September 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zoomie Station: Cours Maintenon Soup
When I tell people I was 10 years at boarding school , they feel really sorry for me...however I have my fondest memories of the Cours Maintenon, I even miss Mme Blay ! The food was also very good for a boarding school, I remember the Daube Provencale, Skate wings beurre et capres , and the fresh baguette for breakfast and.... we used to get tickets for the Film Festival and various concerts and Ballets , so I have not been exactly traumatised ! I also remember being schocked at the unruly behaviour of the 'American Girls' but the little French Bourgeoise I was, has fortunately evolved !
at 12:30 PM Posted by Mijou

Monday, October 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home