Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Windfall Profits

Today, when the oil companies are making huge profits off our sorry selves, I was annoyed until I realized that I made windfall profits of my own this year.

I invested nothing in my huge crop of peaches except the occasional dousing with water from the shower. No fertilizer, petrochemical or otherwise. No pesticides whatever - it seems that bugs don't bother with peaches' fuzzy skin. The energy came direct from the sky in the form of abundant California sunshine. Even the tree itself was a gift.

So, I guess I can't complain much when I fill the tank of my reasonably fuel-efficient car. My kind of windfall profits are even better than Exxon's.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

And peaches taste so much better than gas, so really, you're getting even more mileage from them!

Wednesday, September 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've become such a lazy gardener! It's survival of the fittest out there, and I'm happy that so many survive and even thrive. I recently harvested a tree full of pears, most of which I'm giving away or dehydrating for fun eating all year. Established fruit trees are the best; you really don't need to do anything but admire their lovely flowers and then enjoy the fruit.

What do you do with all those peaches?

Thursday, September 04, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Michelle, you're so right! Lucky us!

Claire, I think you're right about the established trees - my peach tree did virtually nothing for 10 years but has been incredibly productive ever since! Read tomorrow's post for finding out what we did with all the extra peaches!

Thursday, September 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good fo ryou! You have a the right attitude. You reminded me of th etip of puttign a bucket in the shower to catch extra water. I'll have to do the same.

Thursday, September 04, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sara, we are in a water shortage here in Contra Costa so it's important to save every drop. And my garden appreciates it, too.

Thursday, September 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home