Monday, August 25, 2008

Manners

When one encounters young people these days, one does not always expect good manners.

Doesn't that last sentence make me sound like a crabby old poop?

Nevertheless, it's sad but true - the Youth of today aren't always taught to respect their elders, to send thank you notes, and to bring hostess gifts. Luckily for me, most of the young people I know do have good manners.

When she asked if she could bring something to our dinner, I had reassured young Naomi and her beau, Sam, that their company would be gift enough.
Thank heavens young people today don't listen to their elders, either! Look what a lovely hostess gift they brought me - what could be tastier than a selection of Penzeys Spices packed in lovely bay leaves? Sam assures me that the Chicago Steak Seasoning and the Northwood Fire Seasoning will thrill our taste buds - we can hardly wait!

So nice when young people have been taught good manners - and good taste!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

A very nice gift indeed! Those kids were raised right.

Monday, August 25, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the picture. What a great idea for a hostess gift; I was tiring of always taking wine, flowers, or a bag of nuts.

Monday, August 25, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

Quite nice. And now I'm busy downloading the catalog.

Monday, August 25, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Very nice indeed. Hostess gifts - I was taught that back when I was a wee lass. Now that I make cards and calligraphy, I can gift (ie, unload) my art work on my unsuspecting hosts (or hostess) as the case may be.

Monday, August 25, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

But Zoomie... You ARE a crabby old poop!
Just like me.
xx

Monday, August 25, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Hey - cookiecrumb - if you and Zoomie are crankly old poops, then VIVA the Cranky! We need more like you two!

Monday, August 25, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

We got an enormous box of those for a wedding gift...

Honestly, I find that manners aren't generation-specific. They're just plain in short supply across the board.

Monday, August 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said right. It all matters to their upbringing.

Monday, August 25, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, indeed!

Yaya, I thought it was pretty inventive, too! Thanks for visiting, by the way!

Dagny, you go, girl!

Nancy, your kind of hostess gift is the best - hand made!

Cookiecrumb, you've blown my cover!

Peter, what an appropriate wedding gift for you! But what did your wife get?

Sooooooup, yuuuuuuup! :-) Thanks for stopping by.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

She got to eat the food I made.

Still does, in fact, so it seems to have worked out in her favor.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, good point!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I need to invite Sam and Naomi over to my house for dinner!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mrs. L, they are mine, all mine! :-D

Wednesday, August 27, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

My mum taught me to never visit empty handed. Flowers, a bottle of wine, a bag of home-grown passionfruit, a big old bunch of herbs from the garden, a cake, it doesn't matter what, just don't visit without a "thanks for having me" gift. (I'm crap at writing thank you notes though!?

Thursday, August 28, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, you can come to my house _any_ time!

Thursday, August 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you liked them, Zoomie. I'm not sure that I qualify as `youth' anymore, though. I'm almost 30 you know ;-)

Saturday, August 30, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sam, you're still young compared to us oldsters!

Sunday, August 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home