Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Beemster

My friend Sunny, she who was hostess for our wedding 9+ years ago, invited me and Bonnie (we three were students together at a French boarding school when we were teenagers) to lunch last week and served this kind of cheese - Beemster.

I know, I know, it sounds like a hip description of a Bavarian Motor Works automobile, but actually it's a really interesting cheese. It tastes like a cross between gouda and cheddar, and comes in two styles. The younger one is creamy and soft, rather like Tillamook cheddar in texture, but with more depth of flavor. The aged version is sharp and salty, with tiny crystals of salt coalesced here and there in the firm cheese - really interesting, if a little too intense for my taste.

I plan to finish the young Beemster as nibbling cheese but I'm thinking of making the aged one into a killer mac and cheese. What do you think? Sound good? I'll let you know how it turns out.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

I can't think. I saw the cheese and all thoughts escaped my mind. Cheese does that to me.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That sounds like a *great* idea for a mac and cheese.
Coincidentally we just had a little mac 'n' cheese Chez Crumb, and Cranky had the smashing idea of sprinkling it with a little truffle salt.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Kitt said...

"Beemster" does sound like something Buffy and Biff would enjoy.

But I would, too. If it's cheese, it's good.

The aged version would be great paired with a sweet fruit, I'll bet. Maybe a little nubbin stuffed in a fig.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

A killer Mac and Cheese sounds perfect for the older cheese or even a souflee? Something that retains the flavor of the older cheese but softens it a bit. I will make a souflee or a fritatta with the odd bits of cheese that I find stashed in my fridge. I love Mac and Cheese but since there's only me, I think it's better not to tempt myself with the cheesy, buttery, noodley goodness. Or you could do a version of a croque Mousieur (call it croque a la Zoomie?)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008  
Blogger kudzu said...

Be sure to add lobster (see today's NYT food section)!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

Sounds Gouda to me :)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

The mac & cheese sounds like a great idea. But if it doesn't take all of the cheese, I bet it would make one heck of an omelet.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, and these two were really cheesy!

Cookiecrumb, the piece de resistance!

Kitt, oooooh, I like that idea!

Nancy, you have a lot more self control than I. :-)

Kudzu, thanks for the tip - I'll check it out!

Greg, groan - you and my Dad would have gotten along well!

Terry, I think you're right, although it doesn't melt wonderfully well - I'll be posting about the mac & cheese soon.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

You're killing me. By the way, my mother used to call me "Mouse" when I was a child because I had a way of making cheese disappear from the house.

Kudzu mentioned lobster. With the right cheese, I'd say definitely. A couple of months ago I went to Skates with friends. One ordered the lobster mac and cheese. It was heavenly.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, or should I say Mouse?: We should go to Skates soon for the lobster mac & cheese!

Kudzu: wow, I mean, wow! Thanks for the tip on the lobster mac & cheese at the NY Times!

Thursday, August 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home