Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tea Ball on Steroids

Cousin J-Yah loves garage sales and she is a true connoisseur; she scopes them out in record time, rejects all the junk and manages to buy wonderful things for a song. She found my tiered stand and the crinkle cutter, for example. When she brought me this contraption, however, my faith in her was shaken.

What does one do with a tea ball on steroids? I thanked her and, after she went home, put it away in the very back of a cupboard where I put things that, frankly, I never use.

Then, I learned how to make mint-chamomile iced tea this summer, which involves immersing tea bags and crushed mint leaves in water - and then having to fish them out, one by one.

You guessed it - I rummaged around 'way in the back of that cabinet again and brought forth the perfect solution, the giant tea ball! It opens up to accommodate
easily the leaves and tea bags, works to weigh them down in the water, and is easy to remove with the chain, which is long enough to wrap around the pitcher's handle so it doesn't fall in!

The woman is a genius as well as a garage sale maven!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

that tea ball would not pass an olympic drugs test would it!?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are also useful when you cant find the cheese cloth for a spice/herb sachet.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

I must admit that I have used ntsc's suggestion in the past. Of course, it was a much smaller teaball.

Does your cousin shop for non-family members? ;-)

Wednesday, August 13, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I use them for making tea as the tea leaves expand in the ball, don't leave a mess in the pot and are easy to clean. They are also good for those herb bundles that you put in stews or stock.
I second dagny's question - does she shop for non-family members? She just might have a nice little business here.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

It takes real skill to find good stuff like that. I got lucky once and got a LeCreuset pot for $5.But normally I can't see forest for the trees. Tea sounds good!

Wednesday, August 13, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I need one of those. For stocks, as Nancy says.
J-Yah? You listening?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, what a timely comment!

Ntsc, oh, good idea - I'll remember that!

Dagny, I'll ask her.

Nancy, the mesh on this one is a little too coarse for tea but I like the herb bundle idea.

Greg, wow, you _scored_ on the Le Creuset pot!

Cookiecrumb, I'll ask her.

Thursday, August 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home