Sunday, August 3, 2008

Peach Futures

At this time of year, talented gardeners like Chilebrown and his wife, Ms. Goofy, have cornered the market on heirloom and cherry tomatoes, chili peppers and Gravenstein apples. You may think of him solely as a meat guy, but their tomato plants are in full production mode, their tree is dropping apples like crazy and the habanero peppers are blazing (literally and figuratively) along.

For newbie gardeners like me, however, the results are somewhat less impressive. You have heard my laments before so I won't repeat them; suffice it to say that when Chilebrown offered to trade me some current produce for future peaches, I jumped at the chance.

We met at the Catahoula Coffee Company and Roastery in Richmond to share a cup of coffee and to make the drop. Dr. Biggles showed up, too, a pleasant surprise, and helped us to break the ice.
Meeting other bloggers is like first dates with people you met through the "personals" ads - they always choose somewhere safe and neutral first to size you up. The conversation turned immediately to (big surprise!) food, food and techniques for smoking food. I took away some great ideas, by the way - smoked onions! - what a concept!

And, during the course of the conversation, Chilebrown and Ms. Goofy laid on me a couple of weighty bags of produce from their garden, only some of which is pictured above!

The apples are already in a crisp, some of the tomatoes are roasting in the oven with the ripest ones set aside for salads this week, and the chili peppers are leering at me from the countertop, daring me to try them. I've got some pasture-raised ground beef in the freezer and some beans in the pantry; I think tomorrow I'm going to make chili, thanks to some truly talented gardeners.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Chilebrown said...

Zoomie, Jalapeno's are short and blocky looking. The Seranno's are more tubular and thinner. The seranno's tend to be a little hotter. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 03, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, thank you for the lesson! I'll proceed with caution.

Sunday, August 03, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Hey, Zoomie, ChileBrown and Ms. Goofy were at my party last summer, but I'm not surprised you didn't meet them. They sat in lawn chairs next to Biggles's fire pit practically the whole time and got all stinky and smoky! Heh.
Food bloggers are almost always lovely people. Don't be afraid.
xo

Sunday, August 03, 2008  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Yeah, we were busy making the best dish at your party. We were making "Grilled New Hatch Green Chile's stuffed with Cheese". We did meet Pam. I was not even a blogger back then. I had not even been bestowed my title of 'Mad Meat Genius'. Oh by the by, we are stinky and smoky most weekends. We roll like that. Peace, Paul

Sunday, August 03, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

What fun- lucky you! I concur about food bloggers, have found every one that I've met simply delightful.

Sunday, August 03, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, your party was _such_ fun last year - we should do it again! Maybe here?

Chilebrown, roll on!

Anna, the ones I have met have been loads of fun.

Monday, August 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home