Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Stolen from Deetsa

Last week, Deetsa mentioned an Alsatian specialty that sounded good to me so I "borrowed" the idea from her blog and went searching on the internet for a recipe.

Tarte Flambee'. Or, if you're one of those who believe that Alsace really should still belong to Germany, Flammekueche.

It's a simple dish of very flat, thin bread covered with a mixture of creme fraiche, sauteed onions and crisped bacon bits with a little nutmeg, salt and pepper for spice and baked until the crust turns nice and brown. It sounded like heaven to me.

The dough for this pizza-like dinner rises twice, developing the flavor of the bread nicely. It's not as much of a hassle as it sounds, either - I was interrupted by some fun during the rising, stuck it in the fridge overnight, and it was still delicious the next day. Then, you roll it out very thinly on a baking sheet, top with the mixture of cooled, sauteed onions, creme fraiche and spices, and sprinkle on the bacon bits before sliding it into a 450 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is richly browned but, ideally, not as close to burned as one side of ours got.

We liked it but we didn't love it. I guess we like bolder flavors. I'd make it again but I'd jazz it up a little with something more tangy than creme fraiche, maybe add some plain yogurt or mild feta cheese. When you had a bite with bacon in it, it was really yummy (as Dagny says, everything is better with bacon) but the in-between bites were a little flat. I'd also add zucchini slices and/or fresh tomato slices next time and I might not saute' the onion first.

It's a fun start to a whole bunch of different ideas for dinner, however, and I send thanks out to Deetsa for a fun idea!

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

We make that (or something just like it) from time to time, it is truly wonderful.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

More bacon!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Audible tummy growl.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That definitely sounds like something we should try.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, do you use different ingredients?

Dagny, yes, the bacon was terrific!

Cookiecrumb, I thought so, too!

Evlmprs, shall I make it when you come over?

Thursday, July 31, 2008  
Blogger Deetsa said...

I'm glad to have inspired. I'm sorry that the recipe didn't please you more. I'll still have try out my version some time and see what happens *S*

Hope you don't mind that I've tagged you for a meme. Come by my blog to see what it's all about. Join in if you like.

Thursday, July 31, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm with Dagny: more bacon! You did what I was thinking of doing when I read Nerissa's description...now I know how to make it even better thanks to your suggestions! :)

Thursday, July 31, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nerissa, it was the idea that I really appreciated - without you, I might never have found it!

Michelle, I'll look forward to reading about your version.

Thursday, July 31, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely!

BTW - I was telling my coworker about this today. She's French, and she said it sounds like a pissaliere, and then showed me a photo of one she made using Trader Joe's ready-made dough. I think even I could work with that :)

Thursday, July 31, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evlmprs, I'll check out recipes for that and see how the look!

Friday, August 01, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Evlmprs, I think what your friend is talking about is pissaladiere, a Provencal dish that contains anchovies, which I think Zimmerma might object to. I'm going to try a "hybrid" for our party so she won't be grossed out. :-)

Friday, August 01, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I love the idea... How about goat cheese. Like bacon, everything is better with goat cheese

Friday, August 01, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, goat cheese would indeed add some zing.

Friday, August 01, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Zoomie, sometimes sour cream, sometimes some fresh herbs are added to the mix, sometimes sliced mushrooms go in too - but basically the same.

Friday, August 01, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, your mushroom idea sounds great and I did use half creme fraiche and half yogurt, which was sort of sour creamish. Thanks for the tips!

Thursday, August 14, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home