Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cute Zukes

Sadly, my homegrown zucchinis are not doing very well. I'm not sure if they are not getting enough sun or enough bat poop or enough TLC but, whatever the reason, they only give me one or two small zucchinis every now and then, so I had to resort to store bought ones. At least finding these rolypoly little round ones softened the zucchini disappointment a bit.

Having a little leftover rice (you know, the kind you make by sauteeing onion, then the rice grains, and substituting chicken broth for the water) I decided to try stuffing them with some doctored up rice mixture, a riff on Bea's idea of a couple of weeks ago. I sauteed a large minced shallot and half a rib of minced celery with some of the chopped zucchini flesh that I scooped out with a teaspoon, added about a cup of the rice to heat it and, off the heat, mixed in a heaping tablespoon of creme fraiche before filling the shells and replacing the tops.

Before baking them in a 350 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes, I added about 1/4 cup of water to the pan. They were tasty and pretty. Another time, I might use cheese or yogurt with a little more zing but, all in all, we loved the cuteness and the fresh flavors.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Bird said...

That's a fab idea. I saw some of those round guys at the farmer's market last week but didn't get any because I couldn't figure out what I should do with them.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008  
Blogger Julie H said...

Those are so cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm a little EAST of the east bay lol. DH works in San Jose.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Well, cute they are! They just beg to be stuffed, don't they?
Sorry the garden is disappointing. Mine is too. I blame W, of course.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008  
Blogger Deetsa said...

zukes that don't need to cut back like kudzu? Is that possible? I'm sorry for your gardening woes, though. Careful,however. Those buggers can explode forth in fruitfulness just when your back is turned.

I LOVE those little cuties. I wish all zukes were that cute. I like the filling. It sounds like it would be quite nice for a summer dish.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sweet Bird, there's always a next time, right?

Mom Taxi Julie, where is that? Pleasanton?

Cookiecrumb, I laughed out loud - you're so right! Everything is his fault!

Nerissa, I'm actually hoping for some of those baseball bat-sized zukes now, but I don't hold out much hope!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home