Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Jamie's Fans

We are Jamie Oliver fans - even My Beloved will watch his show on the food channel with evident pleasure and we have set the VCR to record "Jamie at Home" so we won't miss a single show. We like his insouciant attitude toward cooking while he produces dishes that make our mouths water and wish for smellivision.

On a recent program about peas and broad beans, he made a spaghetti sauce using the contents of Italian sausages squeezed out of their casings for the meatballs and sprinkled the top of the finished dish with fresh, raw green peas, a brilliant (Jamie's favorite word) idea to give lively flavor and crunch to the dish.

When I made it a few days later, I added some homegrown Swiss chard to the sauce, which was a nice addition, but I didn't have any fresh peas on hand. I did have a small handful of snappingly fresh tiny green beans from my garden, so I cut them up and sprinkled them on top. They added color, crunch and a wonderful fresh greenness to the dish, confirming our admiration for Mr. Oliver's ideas.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I love Jamie too. (Shh! Around these parts, it's almost like saying you love Rachael Ray.)
Congratulations on Your Own Beans! Such a nice garden you planted... in your front yard. Wow.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I have always been an outsider and I guess that trend continues with my admiration for Jamie. Che sera, sera, baby! ;-)

Tuesday, July 15, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Mr Oliver is a fav at the Brown-Mouse house too, Mr Brown pretends to BE Mr Oliver when in the kitchen, "pucka" this, "briliant" that, and "just literally" something else - makes me laugh anyhoo.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I'm glad to know we are in good company! I'd love to see video of Mr. Brown in his role as Mr. Oliver - I'll bet it's a hoot!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008  
Blogger Deetsa said...

LOL I Heart Jamie too. Not only is he fun and creative but he did the same thing from my signif other. Once he complained bitterly about my watching Food Network but now, when the first few bars of Jamie at Home play. he scurries to the couch to watch with me.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nerissa, glad to hear Jamie appeals to you, too! He's goofy fun.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home