Saturday, July 5, 2008

Hot Onions

Hot Onions. Sounds like a great name for a '70s rock group, doesn't it?

While I had the oil hot for making my Belgian frites, I decided to fry some onions for the burgers while I was at it. They came out nicely brown and had that strong onion taste that comes from cooking them with high heat, but they didn't caramelize and they don't turn sweet when this much heat is applied. Now I know why onion rings always have that thick breading around them - to protect the onion from the high heat of frying and keep it sweet.


Over all, I don't think I'd do this again. I like slow-cooked onions more than these hot ones. So, if you have a rock group you've been looking to name, Hot Onions is still up for grabs.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ChrisB said...

We cooked a lot of onions (slow way) to go with our BBQ meat when we were in Portugal~ all done outside and delicious. I did all the preparation and I think they must grow a much milder variety than we get in England as I didn't end up crying like I usually do!

Saturday, July 05, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

ChrisB, from now on, I'm a slow onion gal!

Monday, July 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home