Saturday, June 28, 2008

Celebration Cake

My friend Bonnie rocks! Years ago, she earned a Ph.D. in math, which she used very successfully in the computer field until she retired about 3 years ago. While she was still working, she decided to broaden her outlook by studying part-time toward a Masters in Liberal Studies.

Renaissance woman.


Oh, and I forgot to mention that she raised a really cool daughter while doing all that other stuff.

Bonnie graduated from the MLS program at Stanford on Father's Day weekend and her daughter and son-in-law threw a party to celebrate her. We enjoyed the silly decorations, the gorgeous two year old grandson, the scrumptious dinner and this beautiful cake from Whole Foods.

The picture really doesn't do it justice because we greedy celebrants made serious inroads into the cake before I even thought to get out my camera. Between the layers was a sweetened whipped cream studded with fresh berries, a new idea to me, and a really brilliant one. I loved the surprise of the fresh sliced strawberries, whole raspberries and fat blackberries inside the cake as well as decorating the outside.

I have always admired Whole Foods for the beauty of their food but we call it "Whole Paycheck" because it's expensive and we don't like the pushy, spoiled customers we often encounter there, but this cake was truly spectacular and delicious, a fitting celebration of Bonnie's many accomplishments!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Zoie @ TouchstoneZ said...

I'm enjoying your blog. Thanks for sharing everything you've written. So glad you had fun at the party. We enjoyed having you here to celebrate together. We just finished enjoying the leftover cake on Thursday. We should have sent some home with you. Yum! I'll post pictures from the party on our family website this weekend, so pop by for a look next week. Love, Zoie

Saturday, June 28, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

See? That's what I was thinking that I would do with all the wonderful fresh berries I picked up at the farmers' market. I knew someone had to have done it already. Of course, I never shop at Whole Paycheck. Otherwise I would have known that it was true.

Saturday, June 28, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Zoie, no, no, thank _you_ for a smashing party!

Dagny, great minds run in the same channels!

Saturday, June 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home