Friday, June 20, 2008

Trifling with Tradition

Having never tasted the traditional English dessert, trifle, and having a surfeit of ripe fruit on hand, I thought I might try to make one. When I started reading recipes online, however, I discovered that a key ingredient is a custard, something My Beloved is not really fond of, so instead I improvised.

I halved some store-bought lady fingers and alternated them with slices of ripe nectarine, filled the middle with raspberries and topped it off with a few strawberries.

I still needed a creamy something so I dove back into the fridge for my half carton of creme fraiche, doctored it up with the juice of half a lemon, a few drops of vanilla essence and a tiny bit of sugar, then drizzled it all over the fruit and down the lady fingers.

MB's eyes lit up.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

MB's weren't the only eyes that lit up. Mine did too and let's not forget the drool produced by your vivid description and photo.

Friday, June 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy looking. And much easier to do than having to make custard! Though I might find a way to add a touch of some Kahlua or the sort just because I could :)

Friday, June 20, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I think you did the right thing. Nothing trivial there.

Friday, June 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, you make me laugh. Glad you enjoyed it.

Mrs. I, some of the recipes do call for a liqueur of some kind, so why not?

Cookiecrumb, can't go far wrong with seasonal fruit, can we?

Friday, June 20, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

My eyes, too, went 'ping' at the sight.

Friday, June 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, it was pretty, wasn't it?

Saturday, June 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is very cute!! :)

Sunday, June 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home