Saturday, June 14, 2008

Razzle Dazzle Dessert

The recipe for Frozen Raspberry Mousse in the July issue of Bon Appetit magazine happened to coincide with my big raspberry purchase at the farmer's market and a tub of leftover sour cream in my fridge - so I hastened to the store for the rest of the ingredients and set to work.

Look how pretty it turned out!

It's richer than I had anticipated although I should have known better from the list of ingredients. I had thought it would be a fitting end to a summer dinner and it is - but the dinner had better be a light one.
My Beloved and I were dazzled by the pretty color and the lively, rich taste of fresh raspberries and cream, so I served it to Cookiecrumb and Moonbear when they came to lunch. They approved.

Frozen Raspberry Mousse, adapted from Bon Appetit magazine, July 2008

6 servings

3 cups fresh raspberries, divided (about 16 oz.)
1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon kirsch (clear cherry brandy)
1-1/2 cups chilled heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup sour cream (I'd try creme fraiche next time)
6 mint sprigs for garnish

Puree 2-1/2 cups of raspberries, powdered sugar and kirsch in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
The recipe doesn't suggest removing the seeds but I did put the puree through a strainer to remove most of them and I think that's an important step - razzleberries are seedy little characters!

Using an electric mixer, beat cream in another large bowl until it forms firm peaks. Add sour cream and beat just to blend. Fold whipped cream mixture into raspberry puree just until incorporated.

Divide mousse among six 6-oz parfait glasses (I don't have those so used coffee cups), cover each with plastic wrap and freeze. About 2 hours before serving, place mousse in refrigerator to thaw slightly. Uncover mousse and top with remaining 1/2 cup of fresh raspberries. Garnish with mint sprigs and serve.

I think it would be possible to freeze the whole batch in a large container and spoon it out to serve - I didn't try that this time but, as one who is freezer space-challenged, I was tempted.

Easy to make and dazzlingly delicious.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try this recipe. :)

Saturday, June 14, 2008  
Blogger ChrisB said...

How could they not approve it looks absolutely delicious :)

Saturday, June 14, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

Hmmm. Somehow I missed seeing that recipe. I was more fascinated with the chocolate ganache tart with raspberries. I'll have to take another look at the magazine.

Saturday, June 14, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

"Approved"?
I was dazzled. It's WAY good. (Yes, and rich.)

Saturday, June 14, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Oh my that’s beautiful, and it sounds delish. And you have my favourite china (I’ve only 1 mug though but one day … )

Saturday, June 14, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Perfect dessert for after a nice salad lunch ;-)) And it's pretty!!!
I only have access to bramble berries... and only a handful at a time. I could probably get more, but, then I'd have to actually get into the brambles. I'll drool over yours instead. Oh... And maybe I can come to lunch too?!?!?!

Sunday, June 15, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Elena, welcome! I hope you enjoy it!

ChrisB, thank you, I was pleased with how pretty it looks, too.

Dagny, no wonder you missed with with a chocolate recipe nearby!

Cookiecrumb, yes, I'm thinking of serving it in smaller dishes next time... a little too rich.

Morgan, I only have the cups and saucers - couldn't afford the whole set - but I do love them and I don't mind mix and match china.

KatieZ, just let me know when you'll be in town and I'll invite all the bloggers to come meet you and have lunch!

Sunday, June 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I now know what to do with those raspberries I tend to buy to much of at the farmers market! Love it in the cup and saucer!

Monday, June 16, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mrs. I, I'm like you - can never resist those lovely berries and always buy more than we can comfortably eat. Unlike the berries,this dessert keeps, so it's a good solution!

Monday, June 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home