Friday, June 6, 2008

Piece de Resistance

What can I say? Filet of beef is always a wonderful choice but at FarrahOlivia it is offered with such intriguing sides and sauces that it reaches a whole other level of heaven. The big brown tadpole on the plate was raisin emulsion, sweet but also savory, possibly with onion; the square dish held black corn truffles, a fungus that grows on corn - my brother and I agreed that it was fancypants succotash; the little dab of dark powder next to the filet was a mixture of espresso and chili powders, like a rub but not burned by cooking.

The piece de resistance for me was the cauliflower flan, so delicate in texture and flavor that it deserved its very own plate, possibly its very own pedestal on which to place the plate. It was like an offering to an exacting god.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

A oooh black corn truffles, I’m intrigued! And there's that ubiquitous crumpet again.

Friday, June 06, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, yes, funny that two of my choices included a crumpet-appearing custard!

Saturday, June 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home