Friday, June 13, 2008

Eternity

Dorothy Parker defined eternity as "A ham and two people." She was mostly right. However, at the Marin farmer's market this week I found Range Brothers Applewood Smoked Maple Ham, conveniently small and really tasty. We've been using it in all kinds of dishes.

Lunch after the market run was a new version of Cheese Dreams, toasted English muffins topped with ham and melted cheese smoked Gouda cheese.

For dinner, a tasty new version of "Ham and Swiss," coarsely chopped red Swiss chard sauteed lightly in the rendered fat from the maple ham "lardons."

Breakfast included fresh Marin Sun Farms eggs scrambled with more of the lardons.

At this rate, we'll need a new definition of eternity - it's going to be here 'way too soon.


Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

Yum! But watch your cholesterol! (I went on an all-bacon, all-the-time kick a couple years ago, until I got a stern warning from the doc.)

Friday, June 13, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

Ham and swiss I like that. I will definitly look next time I'm at the market.I do love the smoked pork.

Friday, June 13, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, luckily, we don't eat like this all the time!

Greg, it has really been a nice flavor-enhancer and only about 1.5 lbs.

Friday, June 13, 2008  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Wow, I looked up Dorthey Parker. She had a caustic wit and a sharp eye for urban foilbes. I like that.
Did you actually taste the maple on the Ham? Be honest.
I am going to smoke the bacon on a large smoker. BUT. I have a way that you can use your Weber. Stay Tuned.
Peace, Paul

Friday, June 13, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, yes, she was a famous wit in her day and I still chuckle at her words. While I can't say I tasted a strong maple flavor, the ham definitely has a sweetness to it that I attribute to the maple. Guess I'd call it a hint of maple. Eagerly awaiting the smoking lesson...

Friday, June 13, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I'd be happy to find a ham of any size. All I can get is slices of the big, pressed, deli types. It's good... but it's not 'ham' - would never do for Christmas dinner...
But then, I CAN get some pretty darn good dry-cured hams...

Sunday, June 15, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, even a Cure 81 (small ham here) is a lot of ham for just the two of us, so I was tickled pink to find this 1.5 lb tasty one!

Monday, June 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home