Sunday, June 15, 2008

My First Blog Award

I was tickled pink to return from vacation to find that Zoomie Station is one of the blogs that makes Anna's (of Anna's Cool Finds) day, so she gave me this award! The deal is that I now get to give the award to up to 10 of my favorite blogs, too! I have several faves listed on the right hand side of the blog but they bear repeating as all are well written, amusing and informative in one way or another.

"Orangette" is a perennial favorite of mine and not just because Molly is My Beloved's niece; she writes as much about her relationships with her family and friends as about the food - but the food is always swoony, too. She has become quite famous - we like to say we knew her when...

Cookiecrumb over at "I'm Mad and I Eat" always cracks me up while giving me lessons on effective, spare writing. A mixture of progressive politics and delicious non-recipes with occasional adorable pictures of her little dog, the aptly named Bean Sprout.

"Pluto Demoted" written by Cookiecrumb's hunky husband, Cranky, is a primer on writing with word choice that always leaves me thinking, "Damn, he's good!" He doesn't write very often but it's always grand when he does. Usually political but he moves around a bit.

"Meathenge." That says it all. The Master of All Things Meaty has spoken. Period.

"Thyme for Cooking" comes from KatieZ, an American expat living in France. She is hilariously funny, writes like an angel, and always includes drool-worthy recipes. I want to be Katie when I grow up.

"Becks and Posh" is a hip intro to San Francisco cuisine and night life. I wish I had been Sam before I grew up.

"Anna's Cool Finds" is one of the few dailies. Anna and her Dad find more places to eat in Marin County, California and the Bay area than you can shake a stick at.

I read "La Tartine Gourmande" when I want to try food that's really elegant and different. Written by a food stylist who could make shit on a shingle look like gourmet fare, this is the prettiest blog I read regularly. Great ideas for presentation and a truly French attitude toward food, not surprising as the writer is a Frenchwoman living in Boston.

"Tea and Cookies" is simply lush, lovely writing through and through. I met Tea once and loved her shy, sweet self immediately. I have writer's envy every time I read one of her posts.

"Gluten Free Girl" is another huge favorite of mine. I don't have a gluten allergy - I read Shauna's blog for the joyous descriptions of her life with the Chef and, now, with Little Bean, their soon-to-be-born baby.

That's 10 and I didn't even get to rhapsodize about "Cookblog" or "Oaktown Farm," both of which are wonderful. "Cookblog's" author was a personal chef for several years and is an artist - both are evident in the exquisite food he prepares for his family, and he can write like hell, too! The man is amazing. I love "Oaktown Farm," too - I always get a little bump of pleasure when there's a new post to read over there. Moonbear is thoughtful and thought-provoking, an urban farmer with hens in the back yard, raised beds in the front and a terrific command of the English language that's worth waiting for.

I could go on and on but I've already exceeded my quota. Thank you, Anna, for the honor of the award - I'm thrilled!








Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Congrats on your well-deserved award....
And thanks for so very kindly bestowing it on me...
I may even have the time, soon,(hope, hope) to properly pass it on!
And very kind words, indeed...

Sunday, June 15, 2008  
Blogger Shauna said...

Thank you so much. Writing is essentially a solitary act, so it's good to know that these words connect with you too!

And I still think fondly of those few moments we spent with you at Molly and Brandon's wedding. Come up to Seattle for a visit again!

Sunday, June 15, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Thanks Zoomie, didn't realize you stopped by so often. I enjoy your writing style too -- it's up there with the best of them!

Sunday, June 15, 2008  
Blogger La Tartine Gourmande said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, and mention in your post. I feel honored and touched!

Sunday, June 15, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, no pressure! I know you are crazy-busy at this time in your life - I'm sure your 10 will be happy whenever it comes.

Shauna, you are so kind - I was star struck at Molly's wedding, meeting you and the Chef and Tea! It was lovely on all kinds of levels.

Anna, thanks so much for those kind words.

Bea, your blog is a joy! Keep up the great work.

Monday, June 16, 2008  
Blogger Molly said...

Big hugs to you and that lovely husband of yours...
xoxoxo!

Monday, June 16, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I am honored!
And so pleased Anna chose you, because you deserve it.
Thank you. Such great company!

Monday, June 16, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Molly, right back at you!

Cookiecrumb, my pleasure to let you know how much I enjoy "I'm Mad and I Eat!"

Monday, June 16, 2008  
Blogger Sam said...

thank you so much Zoomie. THough if you really knew me, you might not want to be me, it's not all that glam in reality ;)

Friday, June 20, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sam, perception is reality, right? :-)I do enjoy your blog, and your Mom's, too!

Monday, June 23, 2008  
Blogger Tea said...

How lovely to come back from vacation and find this! You are awfully sweet yourself.

Now go polish that blog award of yours!

Friday, June 27, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

I forgot to thank you (in person, over here on your blog) for the award.

Thank you. You're nice.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home