Monday, June 23, 2008

Wretched Excess

Whenever I see a stretch limousine lumbering along with its televisions, bars and cushy seats, I think "wretched excess" and yet clafouti (or clafoutis), which also originated in the Limousin region of France, is the polar opposite of excess, a dessert designed to make the simple and delicious most out of fruit that is perhaps a little past its prime.

This week, I had a few cherries that were going wrinkly and some blueberries that had shrunk slightly - combined, I had just enough fruit for a clafouti to say thank you to My Beloved's daughter, Katie, who had volunteered to come and upgrade my computer.

If you aren't familiar with clafouti, it's similar to a slightly sweetened popover or pancake batter poured over fresh fruit and baked until it puffs. Eggy, but not custardy, if you get my drift. You can use just about any kind of fruit but the most commonly included are stone fruits such as cherries, peaches, apricots and nectarines.

A quick Google for "clafouti" will get you more recipes than you can handle but I still like the basic one Mrs. Child recorded in her classic, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." It is simplicity itself to make using only a blender, a couple of measuring cups and a pie plate, and it is a lovely early-summer dessert when the fruit is so ripe and perfect that you don't need to fancy it up. My Beloved and I like it a la mode but it's great all by itself and I can even recommend it for breakfast, although that really is wretched excess!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Yours is a work of art; truly beautiful.
I have a strange plum tree (possibly green gage); when they ripen, I'm doing this.

Monday, June 23, 2008  
Blogger Moonbear said...

Ah. My favorite dessert.
When we spend our week at the Sea Ranch I plan to make wild blackberry cobbler. Berries go crazy in that climate.

Monday, June 23, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I'll look forward to hearing about your plum clafouti. I have lost your email address in a computer upgrade - could you send me an email, please?

Moonbear, lucky you to be going up to Sea Ranch! I have lost your email address in a computer upgrade; could you send me an email, please?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Yum - my mother-in-law used to make this, it was her bribe to get us to come over more often ;)

Monday, June 30, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Last year I was making clafoutis every few days with all of my plums..... This year I do not have any plums or peaches...not ONE!
I'm so bummed....

Friday, July 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home