Sunday, July 6, 2008

Experimental Dessert

So, what do you do with leftover, stale lady fingers (that got shoved to the back of the counter and just showed up again this morning) plus half a carton of whipping cream that has been lurking in the back of the fridge?

You can tell I don't like to waste food, not even several-day-old lady fingers.

I love mocha anything - I'd eat rocks if they tasted of mocha - so my idea was to concoct a dessert that incorporated coffee, chocolate, whipped cream and lady fingers.

I brewed some very strong coffee, dipped the lady fingers in it, spread them with whipped cream, topped them with another lady finger and another layer of cream, then drizzled them with chocolate sauce (good old Hershey's) and stuck them in the fridge to chill.

The verdict? Well, meh.

The lady fingers turned instantly soggy in the coffee. The whipped cream needed a little something - maybe espresso powder or vanilla sugar or...?

Next time, I think I'd try painting the lady fingers with Kahlua and flavoring the whipped cream. I'd keep the chocolate - it was the best part.

Back to the drawing boards!

Any suggestions?


Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

All in all, I'd say it was a good try.
But yeah, I don't like wet bread either.
Unless it's panzanella, which leads to my suggestion: How about cutting up the ladyfingers into big cubes, and tossing them with your ingredients (except the coffee)? Maybe even some fruit in there.

Sunday, July 06, 2008  
Blogger Moonbear said...

My only suggestion is to let other people (me) do your tasting for you. I can hardly imagine how you could get "meh" out those ingredients. But I'm a dessert ho'.

Sunday, July 06, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, without the coffee, it wouldn't be mocha, which was the whole point... I'm still thinking...

Moonbear, like you, I thought it would be great. Big sadness.

Monday, July 07, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

Isn't that essentially tiramisù? Seems like pouring booze all over the whole thing couldn't hurt.

Monday, July 07, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Peter, tiramisu-ish, anyway, but I do think a little hooch would have jazzed it up.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home