Friday, May 16, 2008

French Tea, English Idea

When Cousin J-Yah and I were window shopping a few months ago, we noticed a pretty but pricey tiered plate and remarked about how nice it would be to use it for a tea party like we did when we were children.

Then, not long after, I happened upon Tal-Y-Tara, a delightful little San Francisco shop that offers an unusual combination - horse tack and afternoon teas. Their tea included several different kinds of sandwiches on brown bread, quite delicious and served in a charming hodgepodge of jodhpurs, saddles, comfy chintz sofas and flowered teapots. I liked their selection of a variety of little bites so when J-Yah scored this colorful tiered plate at a yard sale for a tiny fraction of the cost of the one in the window, I stole their idea for our first tea party.

Using a combination of my homemade white and whole wheat breads and B&M Boston Brown Bread, all very thinly sliced, I stuffed them with fillings such as cucumbers and dill, cream cheese, chicken, cheddar and chutney, and ham and cheese with Dijon mustard. With a few ripe strawberries and some cookies to round out the meal, we brewed some of the The' de Paques and sat down to a tea party, happy as little girls.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

I haven't made myself an afternoon tea in some time. Then again, I don't have a cute tiered plate either.

Friday, May 16, 2008  
Blogger ChrisB said...

Perfect English tea~ yummy :)

Friday, May 16, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

I worked at a fancy hotel for many years and ate so many tea sandwiches. Yours are looking good.Where are you buying brown bread?

Friday, May 16, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, the yard sales, girlfriend! The yard sales for your own tiered plate!

ChrisB, glad I got the nod of approval from a true English lady!

Greg, I got the brown bread at Andronico's in Berkeley but I've seen it other places. Look in the bean aisle - sometimes they have it right next to the B&M brand baked beans.

Friday, May 16, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

Oh how I love a fancy afternoon tea, wee sarnies, little hot savory things and dainty cakes -bliss on a tiered plate!

Friday, May 16, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Oh this sounds so FUN! And I received a tiered plate for Christmas - and it's still in the box in the garage! Thanks for reminding me!

Friday, May 16, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

DMM, ooh, I like the "hot savory things and dainty cakes" idea - maybe next time!

Anna, I'll be interested to read what you decide to put in yours!

Saturday, May 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home