Saturday, May 10, 2008

Vacation Memories

We discovered Mariage Freres tea in Paris because our rented apartment was just down the street from their flagship store and tearoom in the Marais. We were enchanted and one day had a lovely respite there from the rigors of sightseeing. The surroundings are very "old world" and our young waiter was dead serious about our selection from their 800+ kinds of teas - no kidding, the menu was a bound book! When My Beloved ordered orange tea, the waiter replied with a long face, "Ah, bon, monsieur but we 'ave a problem with ze orange tea. A very grave problem." We traded looks of dismay. "We have three kinds of orange tea - and you must choose." From his voice of doom, you'd have thought it was Sophie's choice. That weighty decision duly made, we enjoyed our tea very much and purchased this little canister of Easter tea (The' de Paques) as we left.

When I opened the canister, I realized just how serious they are about their teas' freshness - inside the lid, which fits very tightly indeed, there is another lid even more precisely sized with a little button handle to help you ease it out.

On our way home, we flew through Heathrow airport in London where My Beloved picked up this tin of cookies as a sort of consolation prize for having to leave Europe. Recently, it all came together to enliven my afternoon after a morning of re-caulking the shower stall. I lead a very glam life at home, as you can tell. I filled my mother's silver tea ball from the fragrant contents of the canister, nuked some water to a fierce boil in the microwave (what else are microwaves good for?) and brewed myself a lovely accompaniment to some of the Harrod's cookies.

They weren't the very best cookies I've ever eaten but the tea was excellent and they were a reminder of a lovely vacation and how lucky I am, caulking gun and all.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Katie Zeller said...

I've never been to that tea shop!
Must go back to Paris.
Right now, I'm going to have a cuppa - plain old Twinnings Earl Grey...

Saturday, May 10, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

We have a tea shop in SF that I've been meaning to visit for ages. Maybe in your next visit to the city......?

Saturday, May 10, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, any excuse for returning to Paris is a good one!

Nancy, hmmmm, interesting idea! I have seen Mariage Freres tea sold locally since I got back so it will likely be in your tea shop.

Saturday, May 10, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I can't tell if Lupicia's has the kind of tea that you want but it's worth checking out:

http://www.lupiciausa.com/

Saturday, May 10, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, thanks! I'll check it out.

Sunday, May 11, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, I think I'll check out their Ala Moana store next time I go over to visit my brother! :-) The Pine Breeze sounds wonderful.

Sunday, May 11, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll try to get there in September, Zoomie!

I'm off to Google maps right now...

Sunday, May 11, 2008  
Blogger Buzz Baylis said...

Zoomie,

What fun to relive a few of the stops during our Paris'08 excursion!

MB

Sunday, May 11, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Mimi, the tea shop is on the rue Bourg-Tibourg in the Marais. Enjoy!

BuzzB, yes, lots of fun to remember! Let's do it again soon!

Sunday, May 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home