Saturday, May 3, 2008

Early Brandy

I cheated. I wasn't going to plant tomatoes this year - I missed the critical date to plant seeds and, besides, aren't green beans, zucchini, Swiss chard and lettuce enough, for heaven's sake? As my Mom used to joke, "What do you want, egg in your beer?"

Well, apparently, I do want egg in my beer because when I found these two cheater plants at the grocery store, they fairly leapt into my cart.

The brawny, strapping lass on the left is "Early Girl" and is bred to fruit early in the much-anticipated tomato season. The smaller one, an heirloom variety called "Brandywine," supposedly will fruit later in the summer, even though she has a flower open and buds already set. D
on't you love plant names? I was tempted by Sun Gold and Beefsteak, also, but mostly for the names and I only have room for two.

I'm already imagining how good the fruit will taste in 50-100 days. Halfway through June with a little luck we should be snacking on our own tomatoes. I don't even feel guilty for cheating.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Hey! Now that you have all this time on your hands and you like the gardening thing, you should go and check out Annie's Annuals, if you haven't already. When I have outdoor growing space once more, I will live in the place.

Saturday, May 03, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

You remind me I must plant tomatoes soon.

Saturday, May 03, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

so cool that you raise your own veggies! I have a black thumb so I kill anything I touch!

Saturday, May 03, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Okay, the tomatoes are great...but I really wanted to hear about your early morning tipple!
My first m-i-l used to drink egg in her beer all the time...
I never got, er, drunk enough to try it....

Saturday, May 03, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Gotta watch those flying tomatoes. I await further news on their progress in the garden and their eventual fate in some delicious dish.

Saturday, May 03, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, wow, they have a great website! I'll have to check them out.

Greg, I gather any time before Memorial Day is okay. The later ones will catch up.

Lina, this is new for me - don't make the "green thumb" judgment yet!

KatieZ, have to admit I've never tried it, either. I think it was Mom's way of saying I wanted too much. She was right!

Nancy, on the little white tags in the pots, it warns you to stay out of the way of leaping tomato plants.

Saturday, May 03, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

It's not cheating, it's excellent time management!

Saturday, May 03, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, you're too, too kind!

Saturday, May 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home