Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Crunchy Cauliflower

Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables but it hasn't been high on My Beloved's list. Oh, he'll eat it and even admits it's pretty good but I don't usually get the kind of rave reviews that I crave from him when I serve cauliflower.

I'm always on the lookout for a new way to prepare cauliflower, hoping against hope that one day I will find the magic ingredient that will turn cauliflower into a Beloved-thriller. This time, I recalled that I had read about roasting cauliflower on Orangette.
I had even tried it once, but in florets that were less successful, so I consulted Molly's recipe again and this time got it right! It's dead simple and yet really tasty.

All you do is toss 1/4" thick slices of cauliflower in some olive oil and salt to completely coat with oil, then bake on a flat pan at 400 degrees F for about 20 minutes, turning the cauliflower pieces once in the middle of the baking time. It comes out caramelized, almost crispy in places and deeply colored, yet soft in the center. My Beloved remarked upon its goodness, a cauliflower home run - or at least third base.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

Ah, success! Roasting vegetables is one of the best ways to prepare them, I think.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

I don't know. Still think I'm going to pass on the cauliflower. Excuse me while I go hide in a corner... Oh no. That never worked. Fertilizing the house plants. That was the plan.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I love roasted cauliflower; like Mr. Zoomie, it wasn't one of my favorite vegetables until I read about roasting it on the "Amateur Gourmet" Blog. Here's another way I've fixed it but you gotta love garlic:

NGREDIENTS

* 4 tablespoons minced garlic
* 3 (or to taste) tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large head cauliflower,
* 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or Romano cheese if you like a stronger taste)
* salt and black pepper to taste
* Chopped fresh parsley - again to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a large casserole dish.
2. Place the olive oil and garlic in a large resealable bag. Add cauliflower, and shake to mix. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
3. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through. Top with Parmesan cheese and parsley, and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.

I've also sprinkled sesame seeds over the dish as it comes from the oven.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008  
Blogger peter said...

If you're so moved, try puréeing the roasted cauliflower with some porcini mushrooms (dried are fine, just use much less and rehydrate them first) and a little chicken or vegetable broth. Serve with a dribble of truffle oil.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love love love love roasted cauliflower. sometimes, i like to throw some onion in too, for the carmelized onion-y goodness.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kitt, I'm learning to agree with you!

Dagny, oh, not a fan, huh? Chacun a son gout, kiddo!

Nancy, thanks for the recipe - I have half a head left so I can try it right away!

Peter, that sounds like you! Delish!

Michelle, cool idea to add other veggies - next time!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Poor MB was probably only used to waterlogged, steamed cauliflower, all gassy and transluscent -- and who'd want to eat that?
You nailed it.
Oh, and Peter stole my soup recipe. I'd prove it with a link but I'm too tired to go find it right now.
xx

Wednesday, May 07, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, that Peter, he's always a mischief-maker! xox

Wednesday, May 07, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

This looks good! I'll have to try it. I found that a cauliflower/potato mash tastes pretty good too!

Thursday, May 08, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Anna, I like the sound of your cauliflower-potato mash - sounds like a version of colcannon, an Irish dish. I'll have to try that!

Friday, May 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home