Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Re-Gilding the Lily

When you start with lovely, just-picked Gravenstein apples from a new friend's garden, you don't really need to enhance them. They are sweet-tart and beautifully pale green inside - delicious all by themselves.

My Beloved, however, happens to be very fond of apple crisp and, since I happen to be very fond of him, I immediately peeled and sliced my new gift apples and topped them with a squeeze of lemon juice and the classic mixture of flour, butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. I thought the topping-to-apples ratio was a little to heavy on the topping but MB claims that that's the whole point of apple crisp so I let myself be persuaded.

Did we really need the added embellishment of the Swensen's vanilla ice cream that our friend Ted bought while he was visiting from St. Louis and left behind to swell our waistlines instead of his? Probably not.

And certainly not for breakfast, which is when we ate it. With apologies to Wheaties, this is the true Breakfast of Champions!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

There used to be a Swenson's in El Cerrito Plaza. *sigh* I miss them.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Of course you NEEDED it. Apple crisp is incomplete without ice cream and Swenson's. Yummy yummy yummy. Besides you needed the nutrition after the difficult task of entertaining me yesterday! In fact, you probably need another helping just to get your strength back.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Your new friend is so very cool.
I love that man. (CB, didn't mean to confuse him with MB.)
(Love him too.)

Wednesday, August 06, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, it's still worth the city trip to go to the original one on Hyde Street with the cable car going by!

Nancy, get thee behind me, Satan! :-)

Cookiecrumb, yes, cool _and_ generous!

Thursday, August 07, 2008  
Blogger Gina said...

Looks scrumdiddly! I think he does have a point re fruit/crip ratio!
Thanks for your recent visit and comments..love your blog :D

Saturday, August 09, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Thanks, Gina - I'm enjoying yours, too!

Saturday, August 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home