Saturday, August 16, 2008

Trug Soup

I have an active imagination. When I began my garden, I imagined myself wafting out to my productive little patch, probably wearing a floaty Loretta Youngesque sundress and a picture hat, romantic-looking trug in hand, to harvest all the wonders that Nature would have provided.

Right.

The reality is that I do my harvesting in baggy pants and without a basket, romantic-looking or otherwise, as my two pockets and a single handful pretty much fills the bill. I was pretty resentful of that fact, too, until I made soup one day from the contents of my imaginary trug.

Okay, I did add two red potatoes, a large onion, three garlic cloves, two (Chilebrown) chili peppers, a fennel bulb, four ears of corn and a quart of veggie stock that didn't originate on my property but the fresh thyme, greenie beanies and zucchinis were my very own.

The preparation was the usual for soup - soften the aromatics in olive oil, add the thyme until it becomes fragrant and dump in the stock and the rest of the chopped veggies (except the corn, which I reserved until the end - I like crisp corn) and simmer until you can't wait any longer to ladle it into a bowl for the first taste. Add salt and pepper as you like.

It was dreamy.

Now my romantic vision is of a perfectly set table with the sun setting behind My Beloved's shoulders as we slurp our Trug Soup, holding hands by candlelight. This fantasy is far more likely to come true.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

I think that your fantasy of a perfect soup with Mr. Z is simply delightful!

Saturday, August 16, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

There is something really wonderful about making a meal out of things you grew yourself. Enjoy the feeling.
(I'd die if a stranger saw me in my gardening get up)

Saturday, August 16, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, me, too!

Morgan, okay, tell, tell! What do you wear to garden? :-)

Sunday, August 17, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

I wear old, mismatched stuff that is full of holes and stains. There have been times I've just taken stuff off (after a particularly robust garden session) and thrown it away. Oh, and a hat that makes me look like a mushroom!
I have also been known to wander about in the garden, eating my breakfast, in my pjs.

Sunday, August 17, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Morgan, I love the mental image of you breakfasting in the garden still in your jammies! I'm like you- garden in absolutely ratty attire.

Monday, August 18, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Zoomie: We need to get Morgan to move over here and be our friend.
And... her husband makes chocolate truffles.

Monday, August 18, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, I'm liking that idea - I've always enjoyed Morgan and now you tell me that Mr. Brown makes truffles... what ideas do you have for luring them over here?

Monday, August 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home