Friday, August 15, 2008

Lobstah Dinnah

About the last place you'd expect to find a sumptuous lobster dinner is a little out-of-the-way strip mall in Redwood City, CA.; one of the few things the East Coast does better than California is growing lobsters. Luckily, I am able upon occasion to subdue my guilt feelings at eating something so not local as lobster on the San Francisco peninsula.

Feeling frisky, My Beloved and I each ordered the Naked (gasp!) Lobster Roll, which comes with nearly an entire lobster's worth of meat (oh, my!) on a fresh bun that has been crisped on the grill before they add the large chunks of lobster. It was served with a side of cole slaw that had chopped raisins in it (interesting!) and a little container each of mayo (boo!) and clarified butter (yay!). "Naked" in this case means not dressed at all - you just pour as much butter as you like over the hefty chunks of lobster, open wide and try in vain to fit a bite of this huge sandwich into your mouth. Chew thoughtfully, as the taste of fresh Maine lobster tickles your taste buds and closes your eyelids in sheer, luxurious delight.

There was no room for dessert, almost a first for MB and me. The $20 price tag for this sandwich was eye-opening only until the first bite, when I found myself nodding and saying, "Oh, yeah, oh, yeah, worth every penny for a wonderful lobstah dinnah!"

*By the way, today is the anniversary of Julia Child's birthday so raise a glass in her honor wherever you are! And, enjoy this interplay between her and Jacques Pepin as they make a Pain Bagnat!

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Oh my. I need one of those sandwiches. NOW!!

Of course, I did just google the key words from your post and located their website. They have a location in North Beach! Woohoo!!

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny - big wow! I didn't know that - that's much more accessible than Redwood City! Thanks!

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Sweet Bird said...

Holy Jebus. I want to put that in my mouth.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Greg said...

That looks so good! They even used the traditional top sliced bun. $20 well spent.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

If I don't eat the bun and the mayo... Can I have 2 please?

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this at Old Port??? My husband and another couple have been trying to get there for months and finally made a date to go over labor day weekend! It's going to be a long two weeks waiting for my lobster roll!

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Sweet Bird, yes, it was nearly a religious experience.

Greg, the whole thing was authentic and sumptuous!

KatieZ, agree about the mayo and you could have just picked out the lobster, dunked it in the butter and...sigh...

Mrs. I, yes, I think so - get there without delay! You could go tonight and again with your friends! :-)

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, Zoomster. You're as big a dope as I am.
I went to the Redwood City outpost the first time, too. The lobster was incredible, and I've had lots of bugs before.
Still haven't been to the NB branch. We should set up a gathering.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

OK. Think I have it figured out. If I phone in an order, I can pop down there at lunchtime some day next week. Yep, that's the plan.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Ms Brown Mouse said...

That looks soooo good, and a rare treat indeed. I remember Mr Brown & I were holidaying at some cold coastal spot (my favourite kind) and he popped out for some bread rolls. He came back with bread rolls and Crayfish (a sort of clawless lobster) - so decadent, so wonderful.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, Dagny wised me up! Good idea for a gathering! Let's do it soon.

Dagny, you schemer, you! Good idea - and the lobster is worth a little planning!

Morgan, I have long realized that your Mr. Brown is a total Keeper!

Saturday, August 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home