Sunday, August 17, 2008

Experience

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

So, I'm in the kitchen with the radio for company, gently rocking to the music, halving tomatoes to slow roast and thinking, "Hmmm, those nectarines need eating soon."

Flash! Why not try slow roasting the nectarines, too?

Wouldn't they get all soft and even more intense than they are naturally? Wouldn't they be like leathery candy? What would I use them for if it works? Can I really bear to waste one of these lovely fresh nectarines if it doesn't work? Should I take a few minutes to look online first and see what others have tried?

Nah, let's just go for it!

Well, I shoulda checked online. Long, slow roasting doesn't improve nectarines. The tops got leathery but not sweet and the bottoms stayed soft, but a little too soft, mushy even, and no more flavorful than the fresh fruit would have been. Ick.

Turns out that nectarines do like heat but fast, hot heat like roasting in a hot oven or grilling, according to all the wisdom I found on the internet, after the fact. Oh, well, at least I only wasted one of my lovely nectarines to become "experienced"!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Ewart said...

Why not puree them, mix in some sugar and maybe a sweet Sauterne and made a sauce to go over ice cream? Let no experience go to waste.
Iccceeeeee Crreeeaaaammmmm. Swenson's Ice Cream!
OR as a topping for a custard or creme caramel? OR a glaze for Cornish Game Hens?

Sunday, August 17, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Nancy, oh, Nancy, what a great bunch of ideas! But, I honestly think all of those would be better with fresh nectarines rather than ovened.

Sunday, August 17, 2008  
Blogger Dagny said...

Nectarines make me think of peaches. And that makes me think of broiling or poaching. Like those peaches that my dad poached in port a few years ago. Please excuse me while I go off to dream about those. Because they were perfect. Especially after my dad followed my suggestion of a little vanilla ice cream on the side. But instead of port maybe you could use the Sauterne that Nancy suggested. Who says that it's bad to have too many cooks in the kitchen? ;-)

Sunday, August 17, 2008  
Blogger Gina said...

I must admit I've only ever had nectarines as is.. they never last long enough in our house to have anything done to them!!
They look delish :D
Thanks for your recent visit and kind words..it was good to hear you haven't missed your gall bladder!!..so thank you :D

Monday, August 18, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, now you're talking, especially yes to ice cream with them!

Gina, good luck with shedding that nasty gall bladder!

Monday, August 18, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Last summer I sun-dried some cut-up nectarines. They came out like candy. Not quite chewy, but concentrated and sweet. It's doable.

http://madeater.blogspot.com/2007/06/solar-and-wind-power.html

You have to dip them in a citric solution first, btw. Something like lemon/water. It took four days.

Monday, August 18, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, would you just go ahead and do that for me, please? I think it's too cold over here and, besides, you already know how. :-)

Monday, August 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home