Thursday, August 21, 2008

Copy Cat

I have a big sister. Now that we're both older and more "mature," that's a good thing - we've become pretty good friends. Growing up, however, things were not all sweetness and light.

Being the younger, I always wanted to do what she did, play with her and her friends, borrow her stuff, wear what she wore - in short, I wanted to be her copy cat.

Apparently, I still have that trait as, when Cookiecrumb blogged about the book she got from the library, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, I wanted immediately to copy her. I found the book and finally got around to purchasing the baking stone and large container for the dough that the authors recommend.

Here's my first loaf. It's a little irregular in shape - the dough I made was comically loose and sticky (not the fault of the book) - but the taste and the crust were really pretty good. The book says the bread will gain increasingly a more sourdough flavor and I hope that's true as I love sourdough bread.

There's a real thrill to making one's own bread and if I can actually turn out a reasonable sourdough loaf I won't care if my sister and Cookiecrumb cry, "Copy cat!"

8 Comments:

Blogger cookiecrumb said...

I TOTALLY hear ya on "copy cat." Sometimes I'm so blatantly copying my favorite food bloggers, I think they'd cringe if they caught me at it.
But in the case of this bread cookbook, well it's making rounds in the blogosphere at lightning speed, so you're just part of a tasty zeitgeist.
And I bet you'll get a comment from one of the book's authors; I did.

BTW, your bread looks better than mine.

Thursday, August 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't bread making such a joy? It fills your house up with such wonderful smells!! You'v egiven me the idea to try baking a fresh loaf every 3 days so that Ryan can take it to work during harvest. He burns up a lot of calories with all the wine making he has to do... He loves when i send baked goods to work, but they have mostly been coffee cakes or banana breads. This is a much better idea!

Thursday, August 21, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, see, I thought yours looked better than mine!

Sara, good idea to give that man lots of healthy carbs for the hard field work! BTW, loved your wedding photo!

Thursday, August 21, 2008  
Blogger Chilebrown said...

Is 10:00am okay for peaches at Catahoula?

Thursday, August 21, 2008  
Blogger Kitt said...

Nice loaf! You can also bake many of the breads in the book in a dutch oven, like Leahy's no-knead bread. I've made a bunch of loaves that way using their basic dough. I don't own a pizza stone. All of the bread I've posted about since January has been their recipe (click here for pics). I haven't made any recently though; it's been too hot out to bake.

It's a great book to have!

Thursday, August 21, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Chilebrown, yes, 10am works for me! See you then!

Kitt, I don't have a Dutch oven currently but I keep seeing things around the blogosphere that people make in them - guess I need to get one! :-)

Friday, August 22, 2008  
Blogger Katie Zeller said...

Gorgeous bread!
You sound just like my sister and me.... Did she also frequently lock you out of a shared bedroom so she could be with her friends???
We get along great, now... But I would not have believed it possible as a teen!

Friday, August 22, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

KatieZ, yes, the shared bedroom was often a bone of contention between us and the locked door _such_ a frustration! Almost funny, looking back, but it surely wasn't funny at the time!

Friday, August 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home