Thursday, September 4, 2008

Musical Fruit

This summer, we are playing Musical Fruit. Several area food bloggers and friends have gardens this year with some overlap in produce but we each have a surfeit of fruit the others don't have so we are moving bags of lovely local produce from one house to another. Like the old game of musical chairs, except nobody loses!

Chilebrown and Ms. Goofy gave me apples, chilis and tomatoes; they got two nice bags of peaches. Cookiecrumb brought me pears from her overabundant tree; I gifted her with more of the peaches from my own Type A tree, and included some extra bay leaves from the box of spices Sam and Naomi gave me when they came to dinner. I sent S & N home with a bag of peaches, too, by the way. My neighbors always give me cheerful greetings and occasional baked goods - so, this year, each had a surprise bag of peaches hanging from their doorknobs. Cousin J-Yah gifted us with pears and strawberries - bet you can guess what we reciprocated with.

These are some of Chilebrown's tomatoes, simply dressed with fresh mozzarella, a crumble of chevre (we loved the mild/tangy combo of cheeses) and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. I'm making a tart today with Cookiecrumb's pears. We devoured J-Yah's strawberries fresh with a little fromage blanc. I hope they are all having fun, too, with my musical peaches.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Yum. I need to get a yard soon.

Thursday, September 04, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, I can bring you some peaches in the meantime... seriously!

Thursday, September 04, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Very, very, very cute.
The more you eat, the more you toot!

Thursday, September 04, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

I need to find some friends like yours! I think I'll start bringing them food and then maybe they'll share their bounty with me...it's so hard getting to know new people sometimes!! Lovely little dish!

Thursday, September 04, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Cookiecrumb, yeah, kind of a steal from the old bean song rhyme...

Michelle, start with the food bloggers in your area - if they don't already grow food, they'll know who does! :-)

Friday, September 05, 2008  
Blogger kudzu said...

I remember picking figs (the ones the mockingbirds hadn't yet attacked) from the huge tree in our backyard and selling them from my brother's wagon to our neighbors. Of course, they all had fig trees, too, but they were really sweet about buying from us. I think we should arrange neighborhood houses so that each one has a different sort of fruit tree, making sharing easy and attractive. Meanwhile, I thank those who have gifted me this summer.

Friday, September 05, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Kudzu, I think mayor Newsom has a similar idea, according to this morning's Chron. I have a neighbor with a grapefruit tree who never eats any of it - I'm approaching him/her next winter to ask for some!

Friday, September 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home