Friday, September 5, 2008

Peaches and Cheese

Since our peach crop came in with a rush in these warm late-summer days, we are eating lots and lots of peaches. For breakfast, on granola. For dessert, in cakes and cobblers. I haven't figured out how to showcase them as a main course yet but I'm working on it - maybe smoked with roast pork... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Perhaps my favorite way to eat them, so far, is simply peeled, sliced and eaten plain with a dab of chevre on the fork. The meltingly sweet-tart fruit and the tangy chevre excite nerve endings on my tongue that don't usually sing together so the tune is a little ragged but attention-getting. I could write a song about the combination of chevre and peaches.

Cheese and peaches, peaches and cheese,
Dance on the tongue, sweet-tart as you please.
Down in the garden, dropping each day
More and more peaches are falling away
From branches still laden with fruit
Cheese made from goat's milk will surely suit
To enhance the flavors of both fruit and cheese
So please give me even more peaches and cheese!

Okay, okay, I can hear you groaning out there. Enough bad poetry for one day!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

I think that peaches would be pretty good with pork. Have you tried using them in bread pudding? A couple of months ago Gregoire had a peach bread pudding with a caramel sauce.

Friday, September 05, 2008  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Cheese made from goat's milk will surely suit
Peaches, peaches, the musical fruit.

You're giving Sammy Cahn a run for the money.

Friday, September 05, 2008  
Blogger Anna Haight said...

Lovely pairing!

Friday, September 05, 2008  
Blogger Zoomie said...

Dagny, they were really good with pork - I'll be posting about that in a few days! And, no, haven't tried bread pudding yet...

Cookiecrumb,no comparison!

Anna, oh, my, yes it is!

Saturday, September 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home